F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Another f4i won't prime..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another f4i won't prime..

Hello, newbie here just bought a laid over f4i guy said it hasn't started in 2 years, and I didn't not here the fuel pump prime. So I bought it anyways for cheap. I tried to jump the fuel pump from the battery with some speaker wire nothing happen so I bought a fuel pump and swap those put everything back together and won't prime. So I bypassed the tip over sensor from the plug itself (2 outer ones together ) and the pump still won't prime. And when I turn the key over and flip my kill switch I can hear 2 relays in the back click together.

Also before I bypassed the tip over sensor my headlights worked fine, after I cut and joined the 2 outer wires together my headlights won't come on. And all the lights on my gauge cluster are lit up.

Any suggestions? Is the fuse for the pump itself? Thanks.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of f4i!

For the pump to prime, the headlight must work. There is a fuse for it In the box. The circuit also goes through the kickstand switch, kill switch, and a relay.

Good luck tracing.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM

there is a repair manual around here somewhere, you can diagnose your problems with that.
page 5-53, you can do a google search and find it with a quickness.
i just realized that this can help me with my problem /facepalm
example, disconnect the fuel pump black connector, turn the ignition on and measure the
voltage between the terminals brown + and green -
there should be voltage for a few seconds, if there is voltage, replace the fuel pump.
no voltage, inspect the 30 amp fuse 10amp fuse engine cut off relay, etc etc.
definitely check that shop manual out

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Thank you for the support, I will keep tracking down the problem and keep you updated!

But has this happen to anyone? After you bypassed the bank angle sensor all the lights on the cluster are on and te headlight is VERY VERY dim to almost off?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM

Got the pump working (pump itself was bad, pick one up from a dealer) it primes. Just won't start. Any suggestions? Anything I should check ?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM

silly question, but you do have a fully charged battery and not that old weak one that
has been sitting in the bike for 2+ years right?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Well it's the same one yes I just hook jumper cables to it when I try to start it

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Ok the myth about the headlight, i gotta call BS on. Iv started my f4i countless times with out a headlight. I have the upper subharness with ZERO HEADLIGHTS pluged in. Odds are its the bank sencer stuck. just jump it and see whats up.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 PM

you may want to verify this is safe, i was able to spray some sea foam deep creep into the throttle bodies.
don't use carb cleaner unless its for fuel injectors, that stuff will eat plastic.
so, i sprayed it into each intake and kept the throttle closed, turned the key on, hit the
engine run switch.
started the bike and opened the throttle, she revved for a quick second, verifying i had spark.
if this is a good idea, i dunno. i actually used carb cleaner at first like a fool.
just trying to be helpful but i don't know if what i suggested is ok.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Bank angle is already jumped, I saw 2 ways to jump it from the 3 wire adapter itself connect the 2 outside together ir from the grey harness jump the 2 outer wires together. Which method is correct?

Quick Reply: Another f4i won't prime..