F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Alternative headlight mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative headlight mod?

Hey guys,

I just got an '06 F4i after being away from bikes for 8 years (posted a few days ago to the new member forum). Anyway, I can't stand the one headlight effect. I've done all the searching and found a couple of threads but they all entail wiring harnesses, different bulbs, switches, etc. I found a site that makes "headlight modulators" which I don't like BUT one of the products actually mentions using the high beam on low. It seems like a simple plug in device--no wiring to mess with or different bulbs. I haven't e-mailed/called them yet to see if I can get JUST the high beam as low feature (instead of with the modulation) but I thought I'd check here first if anyone here has used this or something similar. It's called "The Illuminator" made by a company called Kriss Motorcycle Products. Any info you all have is appreciated. If no one's heard of this, I'll call/e-mail them and report back my findings. Thanks. I posted a link below to the product in question.

Erik

http://www.kriss.com/h7illuminator_mod.htm

Old 10-17-2006, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alternative headlight mod?

??? why don't you just drop the high beams' aim until it's even with the low beam and run both?
the others require all the wiring mod and different bulbs so that the high beam feature is still retained...but if you're just looking for both beams, just run you highs all the time and lower the aim

Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 AM

You could also swap out your reflector for the high beam type. One has flat indexes and the other has the curved indexes on the reflector. They are both the same bulb, so you could pull your headlight assembly out and swap the reflector so both sides use the low beam type, but then you won't have the high beam. And trust me, you really need the high beam at night for deer and whatnot because the low beams suck hardcore.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:58 PM

Yeah, that one light bugs the crap out of me.
I always run with my highbeam on in the daylight.

However, I still want my highbeam functionality at night
during certain situations. So, a second low beam when
on the freeway or in well light neighborhoods, or dusk
would be ideal.

Have you tried this or found out any more information?
Yeah, I wouldn't want/need the modulation...

Kind of pricey though...

thanks,
shannon

Old 10-21-2006, 10:05 PM

Go to http://cbrworld.net/forums/42405/ShowPost.aspx. I had my bike shop follow those directions, and it turned out great.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM

I'm right there with you. The one headlight thing bugged me too, then today,
my riding buddy and I switched bikes. He was behind me, and the bike totally looked
like s**t with only one headlight coming up behind me. Something has to be done......

I rarely if ever ride at night, but I am not sure about changing out the reflectors,
to both high, or both low becuase if I ever do get caught out at night I either wont be able to see,
or I'll be blinding everybody. but, if I just adjust the beams, one light will always look diffeent becuase
of the reflectors.

why the hell would HONDA do this?????

Old 10-22-2006, 12:30 PM

Becuase while not as asthetically pleasing, by having a seperate reflector and bulb for the high beams they were able to get substantially better light output.

I agree though, I don't like the 1 eye'd headlight look either, but I do like the lift and brightness of the high beams. I run my high beams during the day anyway so I'm move visible, then just the low at night.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:57 PM

I love the "padiddle" look. It's signiture.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:09 AM

I spoke with someone from Kriss about the modulator I mentioned earlier (probably the owner/builder)--nice enough. He said you can run it without the modulation by putting a switch inline with the photo sensor that shuts of the modulation at night. That way if you ever wanted the modulation later, it's still there. It didn't seem like he's going to make a "high beam on low" only model (was politely pushing the benefits of modulation so I left it alone). He said the high beam runs at about 40% when the headlight switch is on low and at full power on high. The installation seems painless enough which I like but I'm still exploring all options.

Erik

Old 10-23-2006, 04:02 PM

Let's fix your problem. The headlights themselves have nothing wrong with them from a technical standpoint. You want to thave both headlights "on" while you drive. I hope to provide a cheap solution for you, while at the same time encourage you to appreciate your lights more the way they are; because they are great lights as is.

The first thing to know, is that it is NOT possible to get both headlights on at the same time functioning both as low beams, and as high beams.

The reflectors determine the beam pattern, not the intensity of the bulb. i.e. running high beams at 50% won't make it a low beam. Only the reflectors determine the beam pattern type. So without changing the reflectors, you have the left as low, and right as high. They do not make a reflector which has both low and high beams for our bikes.

Low beam only shines about 20 feet ahead of you. It is a wide low pattern. Seen from anyone above the headlight, it looks almost off... i.e. the reflector is not aiming light at anybody over 4 feet tall and within that 20 foot radius, so it's essentially useless for getting driver's attention. Some might call it a lazy eye effect.

High beam is a straight shine everywhere beam pattern, it goes everywhere, and hence is very useful for getting people to see you, and looks to passerbyers as if it's "on".

Replacing the single filament H7 bulb with a dual filament H4 bulb only makes it worse. Again, the same problem with the low beam looking like a lazy eye. Also since both bulbs are 55 watts, you need to realize it's the reflectors which make it look bright or not.

If you want more light, you could put HIDs into your low beam, for about 120$ you get three times the light. But there is no way to accomplish what you are asking AND preserving any useful lighting output. There really should be a sticky explaining that it's an asthetics problem, not technical problem.

With that in mind, why not run with both lights on all the time? I reccomend it for everyone, all the time, day or night. Bikes need all the help we can to be seen. Modulators are very useful, I would highly reccomend them for your high beam, excepet of course at night. If you don't want a modulator, you can get a Daytime Running Light Module, which will run a headlight at about 50% power, you can get them on ebay for cheap.

http://www.automotiveelectronicacces...aeapn480hd.htm

or the generic version:

http://www.automotiveelectronicacces...m/aeapn480.htm

Either of these will do what your kriss module does, without the modulator. The way to get over the "one light on" is to rationalize it to yourself that the lighting is better the way it is, than any way you could imagine to make it "appear" to be right. Honda really blessed us with good lights from a technical perspective. There is no reason you need 2 low beams and 2 high beams for a bike that is 3 feet wide... You can create all the light you need out of either reflector with HIDs. So down to asthetics, get one of those DRL modules, put a switch in line with it, and for 30$, you are done.

Quick Reply: Alternative headlight mod?