F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Almost Stripped Oil Screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost Stripped Oil Screw

So I just about to do an oil change. I get underneath my bike to find the screw/bolt to drain the oil and I realize that it's stripped (not bad but difinitely noticable). So I tried fitting 12 mm socket and wrench on the head of the bolt but had a little trouble from where the it is warn/stripped. Anyhow, I tried loosening a little bit but I could tell it's not doing so well as a matter of fact it's making it worse. So I tried a pair of Lock Vices (I think that is what the technical term is called) however it started stripping it too.

Now I don't want to strip the bolt before damnation takes place, so what can I do in order to loosen properly and can I just call honda for a replacement?

Also (just to make sure) if you are looking at the *** end of the bike you are going to turn the bolt away from you?

thanks for your help!

Shrek

Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Almost Stripped Oil Screw

Hey man, i think your trying to tighten the oil drain plug!!! *Not sure which way your lookin at your tail* FROM: The left side of your bike.....to loosen the bolt you want topulltowards yourself!!! righty tighty lefty loosey..HA HA.NEVER PUSHUNLESSIT'S A MUST!put your socket or wrench on( prob. have to be twinned.. open on bolt head, and another wrench with itsopen endon the moon shape of the 1st wrench! (PULL TOWARDS YOURSELF)6 Point socket is key for stippedheads. HOPEFULLY JUST YOUR HEAD ON THE BOLT IS STRIPPED also you shouldnt have a problem finding another drain plug HONDA SHOULD CARRY THEM, but dont take out your plus to drain your oil unless you have a new bolt to replace it with. (assuming its stripped.) You never want to lose your prime by leaving an engine sit with no oil in it! I'd get the bolt and new oilfilter and new oil of your choice and do it right. Hope this helpsYou!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM

just to clarify direction of rotation:
if you squat by the right side of the bike, and hook a wrench so that it points backward from the bolt... i.e. extends toward the back tire, then you push on it to loosen the bolt.
try tapping the bolt before you try to loosen it.

If the bolt head completely strips there are a couple of options:
file away notches on the round head and use a smaller wrench
drill a hole through the side of the head and push a stiff rod through it to get a lever
drill through the center of the head and tighten a smaller left-thread screw in it, which will loosen the actual bolt.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM

I hate to say this, and I really dont mean to sound like a dick, but if you dont know which way to tightenor loosen a bolt, just pay the $60 bucks to have the oil changed. Granted a stripped bolt is a whole new issue but look at it this way. If you were able to get under the bike and look straight up at the bolt, LEFT is LOOSE and RIGHT is Tight. Hopefully that will help you a bit. You might just want to take it to honda to change this one time and just let them put in a new drain plug so you dont have to deal with this problem next time.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM

Kevin48, me for example engineered and installed a turbokit, but still tried to pull the drain plug in other direction at first **** happens sometimes

Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 PM

yeah, I think most people have turned the drain bolt the wrong way, it upside down, and if your not thinking, you turn it the wrong way. most poeple figure it out in about a 30 seconds though.

If it really is stripped, definalty file down 2 sides (dremel tools are a must in any garage) and take the vise grips back to it..

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM

To Pashor: I wasn't tightening my drain drug. The way I set up is easier and I use my dominant hand and get the most power for it.

To Kevin: You're not being a dick, I would suggest the same thing if I hand no clue on how to do it before. I asked how to unscrew it to reconfirm my knowledge and/or to make sure that I was properly doing so. (justto clear any doubt that I had).

To Ampfp: Thanks for the options I truly hope there are more options than trying to drill through a botl:
maybe something like http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies

Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM

Just thought (at work and can't do anything atm) IF I can't get the bolt off for some unknown reason, is the only possible way to remove the oil would be taking off the entire oil pan?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Go down to your Honda dealer and pick up a new oil drin bolt, then get yourself a small pipe wrench and carefully remove your damaged bolt, drain your oil, change your filter, install your new bolt, filter and oil, than start her up and enjoy...

Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM

wishin4600rr, that would probably be the only way to get it off. while the bolt-out set might work, i would try as krash said with filing down 2 sides so you can get a wrench with a long pipe on there. keep us updated on how it goes!

Quick Reply: Almost Stripped Oil Screw