F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Almost got taken out

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost got taken out

I'm out on my saturday evening loop around town, nothing fast just cruising. I come to a fork & I'm takin this right handed sweeper around 85ish leaned over probably halfway when this pickup comes sweeping across 2-3 lanes from my left right onto me. So I honk & accelerate to move outta the potential mess & guess what the guy rams on it & ends up 5 feet in front of me. Now I didn't wanna brake or go around him since I didn't know where he'd wanna go, left, right ?? so eased on the gas till I could move around him safely. I come around him & look at him with this wtf dude & the guy didn't even look at me, I could tell he was scared to death I'd do something to him. I guess he didn't see me at all, anyways gave him the one finger salute & just got away from him.

I didn't get scared or got that omfg I'm done kinda feeling but still I wish I could've done something more. I know that braking in a turn is not good but a light tap on the rear just to scrub off some speed, any thoughts.

PS: why the hell don't we have a riding skills/tips section.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Default RE: Almost got taken out

I hate dumbasses like that, thats why I hate riding on the street (or at least in populated areas)
screw that crap, I'll stick to trackdays/racing and some occasional backroads riding

Old 08-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Banned

I guess the only thought is that a motorcycle is a small object on the road and the old saying is that you should assume you are invisible when you ride. I have heard that a person checks their mirrors every 7 seconds on the average, so if you are going 85ish and he is going around the speed limit 'around town' your closing speed could be sizable and even if he saw you, you may have been far away.

So to sum it up, you are passing on the right, far in excess of the speed limit, on a tiny object that may have or may notbeen seen more than 7 seconds ago and the guy moves from right to left. Maybe he was getting to the left to allow you to pass, but he misjudged your lane because were because you moving so fast and you are a tiny little object. Maybe he panicked a little because you scared him and he didn't want to run you over.Maybe his ***** itched and he turned the wheel.It sounds like he was in a hurrry to move to the left and it wasn't simply a random move.

I guess he didn't see me at all
Duh...ya think?

why the hell don't we have a riding skills/tips section.
Here is a tip... ride more carefully.

the guy didn't even look at me, I could tell he was scared to death I'd do something to him....anyways gave him the one finger salute & just got away from him.
Here is another tip. Give the finger to the wrong guy and he'll give you a little love tap into the weeds. Do it on the New York State Thruway and someone may pull a gun (that how a buddy of mine died. three to the chest, 19 years old).

So I honk
Here is a third tip. At 85ish..nobody can hear you.

I guess he didn't see me at all,
Here is a fourth tip. You are on a bike...nobody can see you.

I don't mean to sound like an *******, but you are the guy that is out there and vulnerable to every drunk, blind old person, chick on a phone, guy getting head, woman changing the radio, dude smacking his kids, sleep dereprived 14 hour workay poor schmuck. Think about it, nobody respects your stuff when you are walking around the mall when They are vulnerable, do you think they even care about a bike when they are in their 4000 pound rolling fortress? While it may be their 'fault', you pay the price.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I guess the only thought is that a motorcycle is a small object on the road and the old saying is that you should assume you are invisible when you ride. I have heard that a person checks their mirrors every 7 seconds on the average, so if you are going 85ish and he is going around the speed limit 'around town' your closing speed could be sizable and even if he saw you, you may have been far away.

So to sum it up, you are passing on the right, far in excess of the speed limit, on a tiny object that may have or may notbeen seen more than 7 seconds ago and the guy moves from right to left. Maybe he was getting to the left to allow you to pass, but he misjudged your lane because were because you moving so fast and you are a tiny little object. Maybe he panicked a little because you scared him and he didn't want to run you over.Maybe his ***** itched and he turned the wheel.It sounds like he was in a hurrry to move to the left and it wasn't simply a random move.

I guess he didn't see me at all
Duh...ya think?

why the hell don't we have a riding skills/tips section.
Here is a tip... ride more carefully.

the guy didn't even look at me, I could tell he was scared to death I'd do something to him....anyways gave him the one finger salute & just got away from him.
Here is another tip. Give the finger to the wrong guy and he'll give you a little love tap into the weeds. Do it on the New York State Thruway and someone may pull a gun (that how a buddy of mine died. three to the chest, 19 years old).

So I honk
Here is a third tip. At 85ish..nobody can hear you.

I guess he didn't see me at all,
Here is a fourth tip. You are on a bike...nobody can see you.

I don't mean to sound like an *******, but you are the guy that is out there and vulnerable to every drunk, blind old person, chick on a phone, guy getting head, woman changing the radio, dude smacking his kids, sleep dereprived 14 hour workay poor schmuck. Think about it, nobody respects your stuff when you are walking around the mall when They are vulnerable, do you think they even care about a bike when they are in their 4000 pound rolling fortress? While it may be their 'fault', you pay the price.

Nothing else to say, VERY well put.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM

yeah, sorry but you can blame all that on the cage. well put fish.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:43 AM

Hmm, funny you started this thread. Yesterday I was on 95 north between DC and Baltimore, and this black lady just got on off the on ramp to merge with everyone. And she gets into the lane next to me. And I know she saw me, because I was right next to her window, maybe a little bit in front. And i could see her front fender getting closer.. and I'm like this ****ing bitch, so I get over lol. Speed up, get in front of her and get back in the right lane.. and as she passes me, pays no attention what so ever.

There's some people you think that may not see you, and others that could give a rats *** and almost hope they hit you just a little. Just got to accept that, and be aware.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM

don't tap the rear brake when leaned over in a turn.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Very well said fishfryer. My opinion has been that (not all of course) but a good percentage of the reason why cagers may not see bikes is because they don't have enough time to react to speeding bullets racing past. everyone ride safe.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM

don't tap the rear brake when leaned over in a turn.
So whichever brake you press... that wheel can skid out right? (Especially with a non-smooth tapping motion)
If you have to brake - engine braking? If that's not enough then which brake is preferable?

Avoid it as I might want to, I've had to brake to the point of skidding (thankfully I was straight by then)... what's the best technique?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM

jeez fish, didn'mean to tick you off...

Anyways, I wasn't trying to be irresponsible in anyway. The fork is on a freeway, 2 lanes on the left go to 183, 2 lanes on the right are 35E, one center lane that divides on each freeway. It's a saturday evening with barely any traffic. I come into the sweeper, do a quick check on everything, few cars in the leftmost 2 lanes to go onto 183, a few cars that I passed now behind me to go onto 35E, I pick the last but one lane on the right so that any morons on the left who want to change their mind at the last minute atleast have one lane on my left to hit 35E. Still checking & I see the pickup charge from the leftmost lane right onto me. Now I did try to accelerate but the dude was fast, etc, etc.. it's all up there. And my speed, well 85ish indicated is probably 77ish & seriously thats not too fast on an open freeway.

And if you think about it, I didn't freak out & got in a wreck, in fact I came out nice & clean, I was aware of what all was happenin around me & did the best that could be done.

The only bad I probably did in this situation was to flip the guy off, that was wrong...

That said, a couple of times I've had to slow down in turns & once a hard stop & all the times it's straighten her up do your braking & get on it again. I was just wondering if there was some way to use your brakes midway in a turn, not trail braking.

And yes we do need a riding skills/tips section where everyone could share their driving techniques, etc.

Peace