F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Alloy vs. Steel sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy vs. Steel sprockets

ok im doing the -1 +2 sprocket replace and ive got to know if it is worth doing the aluminum alloy sprockets instead of steel. Now i realize the alloy will be lighter and therefore transmit more power to the wheel but i need to know just how strong these alloys are and if they will be alright on street or if there gonna break on me in a month so ne one with experience with this pls help

I.E
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/3717...600-91-07.html

vs

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1038...kit-honda.html

Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Alloy vs. Steel sprockets

https://cbrforum.com/m_645220/tm.htm

That's all I have to add...

Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Thats not exactly what will happen to you. I did the 520 conversion and I have a Vortex sprocket and chain. I do wheelies all the time and ride hard and fast and my sprocket and chain have 8,000 miles on them since I got it last summer and it looks brand new still. One factor that could have happened to that post by northernfirepower is he might have not had enough lube on his chain, he could have had too much slack in the chain also. In fact my tires have worn out faster than my chain has, cuz I got them the same time i did the chain, and now I am getting new tires. So, do what you think is best. steel or alloy..choose but choose wisely

Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stephens

Thats not exactly what will happen to you. I did the 520 conversion and I have a Vortex sprocket and chain. I do wheelies all the time and ride hard and fast and my sprocket and chain have 8,000 miles on them since I got it last summer and it looks brand new still. One factor that could have happened to that post by northernfirepower is he might have not had enough lube on his chain, he could have had too much slack in the chain also. In fact my tires have worn out faster than my chain has, cuz I got them the same time i did the chain, and now I am getting new tires. So, do what you think is best. steel or alloy..choose but choose wisely
too tight will eat em up too, actually thats worse than too loose.

Steel is stronger n will last longer. I have a alum rear n have no issues after a few thousand miles now.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM

For street riding and if they are installed properly you're talking like 15 vs 20 kmiles. Just make sure everything is aligned and at the proper spec and it won't matter.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM

It really doesn't matter according to most people.

However just keep this in mind. Steel has 7 times the tensile strength then aluminum ever will.
Simple chemistry. You cant beat it

Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 PM

that's what happened to my 520 vortex rear....but my chain was to tight, so that what it was...but anyway,it got eaten in 3 or 4 days...so i'm back on steel...

Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: moldousa

that's what happened to my 520 vortex rear....but my chain was to tight, so that what it was...but anyway,it got eaten in 3 or 4 days...so i'm back on steel...
Holy S... How F'ing tight was your chain...

BTW i've had a 520 alluminum vortex rear sprocket on mine for 8K now and its fine

Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM

STEEL all day long, i will NEVER buy another aluminum (vortex) sprocket again. Hell i wouldnt even buy one of those for my stunters. They just simply dont last compared to a steel sprocket....=-) These are the pics of my ole ladies custom steel sprockets i had made her f4i. All stock sizes, and well worth the money...=-)

Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Hey Respect, you have those CNCed or somethin?

Quick Reply: Alloy vs. Steel sprockets