F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Air Box Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Box Help

Had troubles with the bike starting. It turns over all day, but doesn't fire up. The headlights seem to shut on/off while riding too. I charged the battery fully over night and she still won't start. I can hear the fuel pump priming even tho it sounds a lil different like it gets weak at the end. Tried changing the spark plugs today and I rounded off one of the Phillips head screws holding the air box down next to the butterfly valves (so whoever put those on super tight or thought that phillips screws were a good idea in general for that should be shot).

So, now I have a bike that won't start and an air box with a rounded screw. Any ideas guys? I've never used a screw removal with with much success. Anyone else?

Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeez, you'll probably have to drill it out. Make sure you don't screw up the TBs (what that screws into).

First, I would advise getting your screwdriver in there correctly and then tapping on it with a hammer (helps to get a better surface connection with the metal of the screw that is now a bit more malleable). Then, go slow and try to get it out while putting a considerable amount of downward weight on it and try to get it out.

If you do have to drill it out, make sure you're very careful and plug up the velocity stacks as to not get debris in there and thus, into the engine.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be able to cut a slit in the screw with a dremel and use a big flat head screwdriver to get it out

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by svek
You may be able to cut a slit in the screw with a dremel and use a big flat head screwdriver to get it out
This would for sure be the best. You just have to figure out whether or not you can get to the top of the screw without damaging the V-stacks.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PacosTacos88
(so whoever put those on super tight or thought that phillips screws were a good idea in general for that should be shot).
If yours is like my CBR those are not Phillips head screws. They are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws. They look similar to a Phillips screw but if they are tightly screwed in they can easily be damaged if you use a Phillips screwdriver on them, as you apparently discovered. Click on the link for more info.

The toolkit that came with the bike should have included a JIS screwdriver to remove them.