CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Air box baffle things? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/air-box-baffle-things-117807/)

Jay_J 10-18-2010 10:36 PM

Air box baffle things?

I noticed earlier as i was checking a headlight bulb that there are these baffle looking things under the air intake covers. Can i take those off? Will it effect performace any if i do? They seem pointless and also taking up space. I just ordered a DDM HID kit and thats where my igniters are gunna go if i take them out. So just a simple answer would be cool. If i can take them out and it wont hurt anything that would be cool If i take them out and it improves things thats also cool. oh i did search and came up empty handed.

Thanks

jp_greenville13 10-18-2010 11:47 PM

Lots of guys have done that and noticed very little or no effect on performance. Go for it!

Zero1080 10-18-2010 11:59 PM

Oh, like those "overflow" air boxes? The triangular ones?

600F4inoober 10-19-2010 12:10 AM

Ya just rip em off and plug em up:icon_bike:I just put a few strips of electrical tape over the holes...I too installed my ignitors to my DDM HID kit 8000k there with double sided sticky tape...its a good spot for them seeing as they dont get hot (like the ballasts which get real hot)...make sure to place them nice and snug on the ram air tubes...Ive found that after you tighten down the covers, the ignitors may shift a bit and can come loose/pop out from under the covers!

Jay_J 10-19-2010 08:10 AM

Alright cool. I guess I know what im doing today. Lol.

Thanks guys.

Xander F4i 10-19-2010 09:27 AM

i think they are just for harmonics (at least the ones on top) there is also a pair on the bottom (i wouldn't mess with those two). downward facing ones are supposed to help keep water from going into the motor (like if you are riding in the rain).

dorklord 10-19-2010 12:14 PM

I noticed those things when replacing my headlight the other day.

Does it make any difference, sound wise, if they are removed? (I remember a buddy of mine had a lincoln with a 5.0, when we removed a baffle thing like that from his airbox, it sounded like a mustang...)

nickels 10-19-2010 12:25 PM

ive cut the big thing off tube itself so i can get it off and check fluids and such without disassembling the fairings. Black duct tape works good to cover the holes. I basically have straight tubes now.

edit...if duct tape didnt work so good i would just fiberglass it

Xander F4i 10-19-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by nickels (Post 978471)
ive cut the big thing off tube itself so i can get it off and check fluids and such without disassembling the fairings. Black duct tape works good to cover the holes. I basically have straight tubes now.

Do you have any trouble riding in a downpour with straight tubes?

nickels 10-19-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i (Post 978561)
Do you have any trouble riding in a downpour with straight tubes?

nope. Not that i go out and ride in the rain every chance i get but its happened and i roll on with no problems