F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ahhh spill out!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ahhh spill out!!

That's really hard to tell. I have no idea but can make some comments from what I've experienced.

First - I'd really suspect that something was slippery about that turn. Different pavement (fresh pavement especially - that stuff is lethal), oil, fine sand, paint...

Then if you REALLY had heated up the tire you might have gotten onto some tire snot. In a sweaper your lean angle was actually probably less than it was for the low speed sharp turn. You might have got some tire snot midway across the tire and as you leaned in for the tight residential turn ran across a gob of it.

I've also had some excitement with wet tires - even running though the water of a car wash will change the tires grip... I've lit my rear tire up rolling through that type of thing. If you got something on the tire and then leaned over onto it, then you could get a wheel spin.

I've also had a carb belch before. Off throttle and back on throttle immediately - it bogs for a split second and then picks up quickly. Unlikely but it happens.

I've also thought I've had rear wheel spin when I'd made a mistake leaning in... bike just felt really unstable because I had given too much input, and it sorted itself out by wobbling.

Finally - you could have actually touched your peg down. It feels weird at low speed... especially when you've tossed the bike into the turn. Suspension compresses rapidly and the peg strikes the ground as opposed to grazes it.

Who knows... got more info for me?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope not wet tires, no fresh paint no fresh concret, couldnt have been my peg touching the ground, wasnt going fast enough at that angle to get it low enough to touch the concret... i looked at my back tired and i side sideways markings were it look like the tire failed togrip? as for sharp turn i didnt take it that sharp was a left hand turn and was goin maybe 10? 15?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doubt the peg touched down. I saw marks on the tire diagonal to the running direction indicating the slide.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 PM

I agree with looking into the possible root of the spill.......you had conditions where the weather was cold = road surface is cold...residental streets dont get the heavy traffic main roads do...it is possible that even though you didnt see oil/grime it was there also colder tires...depending on your tire compound could play a factor feeling your bike push in the corners is typical and alot of riders blame tires I just think its more than that....my 2scentz....hope your bike is ok

Old 12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - pavement when it sweats, particularily when it's got some oil on it, is really slippery. Walk on the road someday and scuff your feet. You'll feel just how greasy some of it is... and then wonder why you're on two wheels!

Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 PM

i was near the freeway on an over pass turning on to the freeway... plenty of traffic there i dunno i fell and **** happens

Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 AM

I agree with Woot on the cold tire issue. I believe the tires grip fine in the cold, but the conditions of the pavement do change in the cold.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:22 AM

thats one thing thats taken the most getting used to as a new rider, their doing construction at on the main street my apartments turn onto so everyday i have this crazy bumpy dirt then it leads to some street with sand on it then maybe to dirt or street or some mix depending on what their working on and its not like its just 100 feet or something its for liek 2 miles of this, its really making me a better judge of what my bike and tires can take on different surfaces and in different tempatures, if i were u i would think it was something on the street and like it was said neighborhood roads dont get driven on as much so maybe it had been sitting there for a while