F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

aftermarket brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: aftermarket brake rotors

Depends on the specs of a new OEM rotor and what the design of the aftermarket is. That rotor could say 4mm minimum because of heat issues, pad bite, etc.

I noticed that others are replying with good positive comments on the rotors they rec'd. They look like cheap knockoffs but I'd buy them for the price over "name brand" rotors.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have to agree that the rotors look pretty sweet and I would probably try them for the price...my only concern is that they would warp quickly and be junk after on eseason of riding

Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Machinest and I know a lot about metalurgy. It could work out for you they are a great price I would bet they aren't made with in OEM tolerances though. It is hard to make something that close for that price.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM

So describe the process of making a rotor surface....say 5mm thick.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:30 AM

i'm thinking stock rotors aren't 3.5mm (i will measure them today as they are almost new just for your and mine interest) but should be replaced when they are thinner then 3.5mm.... and those aftermarket rotors should be replaced when thinner than 4mm just to avoid the warp of "less quality" steel or maybe say "more perforated and cut" steel.
it's even not the quality of steel, it's compound. more hard steel can eat brake pads faster, softer steel can make brake rotors go hotter, wear and warp faster.. if the density is more or less equal and balance is ok, than it will work just as the stock ones.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Zactly

Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Describe the process? Agian I don't make rotors I am in prototype vale, valve actuation, and supercharger. If I were to make them one off for myself I would rough it out in the mill/turn machine put everything it one solid piece. Cut it off heat treat it to whatever its supposed to be and finish grind both sides. I would try to get them perfectly flat and parallel to each other. There that was a stupid waste of my time.

All I am saying is I have made a lot of custom parts for my F4i (grips, pegs, triple tree, rear sets, I even modeled up some clip ons but haven't cut them yet). Anyone can make something that looks good. I could make some rotors and send them to you for $150 they just might not pan out for you. I am not a name brand company that has millions of dollars into research and development of the right alloys and heat treatment. density????? seriously?? I give up good luck and I hope they work out for you.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Can you make me some rearsets? And NOT charge me an arm and a leg?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:08 PM

ok. so anyways. the rotors don't have to be better than OEM. i just don't want to spend a ****-load of money on a new set of rotors and i don't trust used parts off of ebay. i just want some replacements so my bike doesn't shake like a bastard while i'm riding with my girlfriend because she's already skittish about being on a bike. i just wondered if the sizes from both versions of F4i were the same.

anybody?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Brakes are the same. If I'm not mistaken, those rotors have been around for a long time and are used on the RR up until the 06 model.

Quick Reply: aftermarket brake rotors