F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Adjusting Swingarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Swingarm?

So i've been trying to figure out how my bike lowered itself from a crash and i think i've figured that the swingarm was tweeked up a little, therefore bringing the stance of the bike down. How would i go about loosening the swingarm to be able to raise the bike back up again? I've been reading up on threads of how to REMOVE the swingarm but not adjusting it...and it seems removing it is a real pita, so this might be similar..any suggestions/help appreciated.

pics for comparison:
how my bike looks now(you can see how the exhaust blocks the view of the rotors where as a normal one doesnt)
Name:  Picture056.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  82.1 KB

what a normal f4i swingarm angle looks like, this is a good picture because you can also see the tranny/clutch cover (if owner wants me to take down pics please let me know)

You can see how much more the swingarm angles down from the second pic where in mine it's almost parallel to the ground.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adjusting Swingarm?

The swingarm plate isn't adjustable. It's possible that your spring has sprung (too much sag). OR your swingarm is tweaked and needs replacement.

I have a swingarm with pivot plates, etc. just sitting in a box taking up space. PM me if you want it.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Measure from the rear axle to that bolt that sticks out and see what the distance is, then have someone measure a stock f4i thats never been dropped and see what the difference is.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 PM

I would say that your spring has sprung on the damper. I can't imagine the swingarm being bent and not screwing up a whole bunch of other stuff.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM

yeah, it seriously doubt, no garauntee your swingarm isnt the problem. ( it may be tweaked left to right, but not vertical).

You either busted you shock-not the spring- but blew the seals on the shock. that is the most likely.

or, the end of your subframe is bent. why is your seat all jacked up? if it wont fit, your subframe is all tweaked. the end of it could be bent down, which would cause your exhaust hanger to be lower, which would cause the exhuast to hang down infront of the rotor.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

Measure from the rear axle to that bolt that sticks out and see what the distance is, then have someone measure a stock f4i thats never been dropped and see what the difference is.
Mines measured 21 inches from rear axle nut to where the swingarm bolts to the frame. There seems to be nothing wrong with the swingarm itself just the placement of it..seems to sag more than normal. Something is causing my bike to be lower and this seems like the problem.

yeah, it seriously doubt, no garauntee your swingarm isnt the problem. ( it may be tweaked left to right, but not vertical).
yeah i was thinking how could the swingarm tweak upwards without some bolts being loose, but i have no other idea what it could be.

You either busted you shock-not the spring- but blew the seals on the shock. that is the most likely.

or, the end of your subframe is bent. why is your seat all jacked up? if it wont fit, your subframe is all tweaked. the end of it could be bent down, which would cause your exhaust hanger to be lower, which would cause the exhuast to hang down infront of the rotor.
i'm hoping it's just the shock because that can be easily and less costly to replace, i'll have to take it out and examine it. I think my subframe is straight and wouldn't be causing my bike to be lower than normal. The seat is like that because when the bike crashed the seat popped off along with the ecu and battery from it's compartment, and because i needed to get home i just stuck all the stuff back in there not properly, but i'm sure if i took the time it would go in as it should.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM

The rear shock seems to appear normal, but is it possible for the shock to be messed up but still look fine?

pics:

Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Yea something might def not be right, idk if its supposed to sit that horizontal.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been awhile since I've seen a stocker, but that doesn't look right.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM

going to need more pics. those pics dont really tell anything. I was thinking, the only 2 things other than the shock being blown, is possibly you jacked up the dogbone assembly. Take a picture of lower mounting end of the shock. it mounts to 2 plates, with a bolt in the middle, and then that bolts to "dog bone".
Name:  dogbone.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  55.9 KB

here is a pic of mine, bolt removed. but if you could take a pick of that assembly from the other side, that is the only mechanical thing I can think off,
unless you bent your frame at the upper mounting point.....here under the gas tank

back to the shock. if you push on the back end of the bike, does it bounce up and down easily?

I dunno, the more I think about this, it cant be your shock. the spring is what holds the bike up, the shock only slows down the spring once its in motion. the spring wont sag just becuase the shock is holding pressure.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Swingarm?