F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

adjusting rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting rear shock

I adjusted my rear shock this morning because it was really soft. I have it on 6 im 6 1 215 is that a good setting? Also theres the dial on the bottle on the side and one on the right side on the bottom of the shock some one told me one is preload and one is rebound witch one is witch and how do you adjust those? Thanks

Old 06-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youtube has instructions on how to tune your suspension.

for the front....I believe the turn thingies on top, by the handle bars, adjust rebound. The ones on the bottom, near or on the lower part of the forks adjust compression.

for the rear, the can like looking thing that's the size of a regular red bull can.... rebound. on your shock...turn thingy... compression

Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info what should i type in on youtube to find that video

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM

hey can you explain to me how you turned it to 6? I have mine on 7 and find it extremely hard to do with the tool in the tool kit.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM

The rear tire must be lifted off the ground. I use a 2x4 propped under the right frame slider. Just enough to lift the weight off the spring. Spray the adjusting collar with WD-40 if you've never adjusted it before.

Then put a 12" socket extension (perfect fit) in one of the square adjusting holes and whack in the direction you want to adjust with a hammer. OR just use the appropriate tool.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM

6 might be a bit too much preload for your weight, I'm about 215 lbs and mine is set in the first part of 5.

roman I've adjusted the preload on my rear shock every time w/ the rear tire still on the ground and the tool from the tool kit.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 AM

The tool locks into the shock and i used a rubber mallet to hit tge tool and turned it click by click it was a pain in the a**

Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
The rear tire must be lifted off the ground. I use a 2x4 propped under the right frame slider. Just enough to lift the weight off the spring. Spray the adjusting collar with WD-40 if you've never adjusted it before.

Then put a 12" socket extension (perfect fit) in one of the square adjusting holes and whack in the direction you want to adjust with a hammer. OR just use the appropriate tool.

lol, this is what everyone has told me too, that I need the shock to not be compressed, Ive heard crazy stories on this forum of people supporting their bike by their exhaust canisters lowest point.....

but according to chambers below he leaves the tire on the ground, maybe he lifts idk can you specify that chambers? lol

also its extremely hard to turn it, never did with wd-4o will try tomorrow maybe that will help. Also what do you guys think I should set it at? The bike is lowered 3in front and 3in back, all other settings are at stock, except the rear spring which is at 7, I weigh 168 and Its an all driver, I want whatever will make it safer and funner in the corners!
Thanks all!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by romanboy
but according to chambers below he leaves the tire on the ground, maybe he lifts idk can you specify that chambers? lol
I did not lift or touch the rear of the bike other than wrenching hard on the adjuster. I'm about 215 lbs., my bike is stock height, I set my rear preload to the first part of the # 5 hole and that gave me 33 mm of sag in the rear. I'm not sure about setting sag when you lower the bike, it may need to be different than standard set up.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM

You dont have to lift the rear to adjust, just makes it ALOT harder to turn.

romanboy: 3 inches is a ton of lowering.. damn near dragging the pipes at 3 inches lower.Aare you sure thats correct or are you just really short?

I took a ride on setting 7 just to get the feel and it was horrible. Every little bump shot my **** into the air. Im 180lbs and setting 5 is alot more comfortable and has the correct sag as well.

Quick Reply: adjusting rear shock