F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

About to get my first bike, need some price advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:13 AM
Default About to get my first bike, need some price advice

Hey whats up everyone.
My name is Adam, I'm 21 from Columbus Ohio.
I dont know if it makes a difference as to what bike I get but Im 6'2" 175lbs.

The bikes Ive been looking at are the F4i and the RR.
I dont have alot of riding experience, Ive only ridden a few dirt bikes growing up.

Im able to spend 3 to 4,000 on a bike. I would like to have something in a 2000 or newer.

My first question is how many miles is alot for a bike of this age? And also what is my best case scinario where I can spend 4,000 and get the most bike for my money?

Thanks alot

Old 06-05-2006 | 03:08 AM
Default RE: About to get my first bike, need some price advice

I was faced with the same situation, actaully having the same amount of riding experience too. But i ended up getting a 2001 f4i that had been slightly damaged on the right side. (front fairing cracked like 3 inches and some scratches to the paint) It had 12,500 miles on it and i paid $4400. after **** like title transfer and tax i spent like $5000. This was form a dealer. Private seller will most likely be your best bet for the $3000-$4000 price range.
If you find a 2000 or 2001 with like 13000-14000 miles on it in your price range i would go for it.

www.cycletrader.com might be able to find something on there.

good luck and remember you'll have fun on whatever you get.

Old 06-05-2006 | 04:16 AM

Okay straight to the point! You need the RR. You are a tall guy but thin how ever you will get the F4I and then you will be upset with your decision. I really think that you should get the 1000 RR or if its just starting out then I guess 600 RR.

Old 06-05-2006 | 08:17 AM

I would definately like to get the 1000rr but there's no way I could get one for 4,000$. Are there other bikes I should be looking at because of my height?

Old 06-05-2006 | 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: andref321

Okay straight to the point! You need the RR. You are a tall guy but thin how ever you will get the F4I and then you will be upset with your decision. I really think that you should get the 1000 RR or if its just starting out then I guess 600 RR.
first of all that's the stupiest thing i've ever heard. limited riding experience and you tell him to get a 1000 right out the door?

read this link and then think about what you want.

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=26786

if i were you i'd look into a sv650. great starter bike and if it's not enuf for you after a season sell it. they are cheap and someone will always need a beginner bike so you'll have no problem selling it. if for some reason you go for the 600 i'd look at the 01 f4i over the 2000 for the simple fact that its fuel injected. no carbs to deal with. however don't let this be the item that sells you on your bike. anyways read the thread and you'll see what i'm talking about. good luck.

Old 06-05-2006 | 01:45 PM

No carbs isnt exactly a good thing.... You shouldnt avoid a bike due to carbs, as a first bike there are plenty of other things that you should worry about other than FI vs Carbs. FI issues can be hard to diagnose and expensive to fix. I've never had a problem cold starting any of my carbed bikes with the choke. The millisecond better response time that FI gives you isnt even noticed unless you're Rossi.

I never understood why people make this a bigger issue than it is. *shrug*

Old 06-05-2006 | 01:51 PM

I hope you are joking, that is the worst advice I have ever read. If you don't know how to ride, get a 250 or a 500. Or a used SV650. You will lose a few hundred bucks in the process but learning how to ride without dumping it like a noob will be worth it in the end.

Old 06-05-2006 | 01:55 PM

Straight to the point.. You're an idiot.

gibbs85 - please ignore this post, for your own sake.

paintedblue suggested the sv650.. +1 on that suggestion for newer riders. It's a great starter bike and will give you more than enough of a speed fix (without as much potential to get you into trouble), if that's what you're looking for.

If you're dead set on the two bike, I'd pick the f4i. The rr is more built for the track, while the f4i is a little easier to manage for daily use, and you'll probably find a better deal on it since the focus these days is starting to shift toward the more aggressive side of bike models.

I'd look further back than 2000 models if you're on a tight budget. You can find some great looking bikes for a lot less. You have to consider that you probably will drop the bike if you're a new rider, and the more you've spent on it, the more it'll hurt.

my 2cents.

g'luck.
Z.

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:40 PM

Well I can spend about 4,000$ but its not my money. Long story. I found a 2002 kawasaki ninja on craigslist in my area but they didnt list the cc's, I sent them a msg ($1300). I love hondas tho and Id like to stick with one. I havent read anything at all about the sv650, Im going to go do that now. And as much as Id like an RR there's no way Ill find one for 4,000 that hasnt been dumped. And the main purpose of this bike is going to be commuting around town with the ability to park just about anywhere. My accord is just too much of a turd to take my girl out in lol.

Old 06-05-2006 | 08:20 PM

See I wouldnt get the RR. Im 6'2 as well. I rode an RR and you sit a lot higher up on it. You Sit into the F4i more and its more comfortable for gangly bitches like me. If you want shoot me a PM I will come over and you can sit on mine and let me know what you think.

Quick Reply: About to get my first bike, need some price advice