F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

929 Fork Front End Conversion on F4i

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 Fork Front End Conversion on F4i

I just swapped on a front end from a 929 onto my f4i. It was really easy. If you decide to do it, make sure you get the forks, tripple trees, clip ons, front wheel, front rotors, axle, bearings and fender. The ignition from the f4i bolts right on, the tripple trees use the same bearings as the f4i and the same calipers. Nice upgrade!!! I haven't ridden it yet but I'll post a review once totally completed.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:41 AM
Default RE: 929 Fork Front End Conversion on F4i

how do you benefit from replacing the stock front end to a 929?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Soarer

I just swapped on a front end from a 929 onto my f4i. It was really easy. If you decide to do it, make sure you get the forks, tripple trees, clip ons, front wheel, front rotors, axle, bearings and fender. The ignition from the f4i bolts right on, the tripple trees use the same bearings as the f4i and the same calipers. Nice upgrade!!! I haven't ridden it yet but I'll post a review once totally completed.
Thanks for the heads up, I have been wanting to do this on my bike, but haven't gotten enough info, money, or interest. Let me know how it feels in comparison to the stock setup.

About why to do the swap, alot of the time its for stunters who want to pull 1000ft stopies and the stock front forks of the F4i won't hold up to it. Other advantages is that its inverted, looks better and performs better. They make more parts, so on. I'm sure that some of those reasons would be available on the stock setup, but it looks better LOL.

Hey just wondering can you still use the ram air covers or do the clipons get in the way, also how did it change your riding position? Post up some pics if you have them

-Jesse-

Old 07-07-2006, 05:47 PM

I haven't gotten the bodywork back on so I don't know about the ram air tubes yet. The riding position is slightly more aggressive as the clipons are a bit lower. The 929/954 clipons go under the top tripple instead of above it.

As for the purpose of the switch, the forks are inverted, have more adjustability, are stiffer and the rotors are larger on the 929 front wheel for increased braking power. Plus it looks trick. I wish I could roll 1000ft stoppies. 10ft is good for me. I'm just a tweaker who likes to change stuff around. Also, I got a complete front end for the 929 for $600. That was cheaper than I could find f4i stuff.

As soon as it's all together I'll post some pics and give a review of performance.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Fox
Banned

Definitely post some pics!

Old 07-28-2006, 01:12 AM

Pics to come.

FYI - The 929 clipons sit lower than the f4i ones. They hit the ram air tube covers when you turn the bike to full lock. To make it clear you would have to either remove the ram air tubes or change the clip on set up. I figure you could do this by putting the clip ons over the tripple tree. This would dramatically change the geometry of the bike though. You would be dropping the trees down the forks about 1 1/2 inches which would reduce the rake and make the bike more nimble but less stable. I'm going to check and see if the f4i top tripples and clipons could work. I'll let you guys know.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could compensate by dropping the preload at rear and increasing at front, but it might handle funny in tight fast stuff and/or scrape the lowers.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:45 PM

I have a 929 frontend on my f4i and it sucks with the fairings on cause the clip ons hit the upper so turning around in tight spots is a bitch but that frontend with my gp tech dampner is the **** and makes it feel like a completely different bike..

Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 PM

my 02 is running the 929 front end. i run aftermarket clipons ontop of my trees. this whole set up works good for me (on my stunt bike) because with me being 5 foot 8 it makes bringing my legs back from over the bars easy as hell. plus, i love the bigger brakes compared to the f4i. im running a stock front end on my 01 and you can definatley feel a difference. the bike is lower with the conversion. but its more of a stunt setup than an everyday bike

Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

You could compensate by dropping the preload at rear and increasing at front, but it might handle funny in tight fast stuff and/or scrape the lowers.
ya you will scrape them but not too much during everyday riding. the bike wont sit that much lower. you will most likely hit comming off of a wheelie more often than comming out of a driveway. but your headers will take more of the hit rather than your lowers.

Quick Reply: 929 Fork Front End Conversion on F4i