F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

600 F4i tail decal question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my tail decals showed up today. Pretty quickly actually. I got them from:

replicals.com

If anyone is interested.

Here is a shot of them below... I'll probably apply this weekend, so I'm not rushed.

Name:  ee2f79ef7a83cec5ad02962f16f14dad_zpscc537757.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  38.6 KB

Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Well, my tail decals showed up today. Pretty quickly actually. I got them from:

replicals.com

If anyone is interested.

Here is a shot of them below... I'll probably apply this weekend, so I'm not rushed.

Thanks for the link to replicals - win!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

those will look good.

on my f4i i did a multi-color also, but i put an offset black layer underneath to give it more depth and contrast

Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM

$&@;!!! regener8ed... Here I was all primed to put them on this weekend and you go and show me THAT! I don't know why I didn't think of that myself, I do the same exact thing in photoshop when I'm making posters or cards or whatever... Duplicate the letters in another color for a little "drop shadow" effect! Now I might have to wait to apply because I think I want to do something similar... You know what they say about "imitation"

Oh and Nikolaya, glad I could help out!

Edit: Just visited replicals again... ordered second set! regener8ed, you owe me 23 dollars Once I get them I will take time and see if I can make a little photo show or video of the application process to share.

Last edited by jmeekman; 08-08-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Just an update...
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by regener8ed
those will look good.

on my f4i i did a multi-color also, but i put an offset black layer underneath to give it more depth and contrast

Darn that looks good, great color scheme! Now I'm thinking of replacing the stickers I removed and maybe a little paint as well. Is that a hard shell replacement for your seat? Custom?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Question on your application regener8ed... when you placed the second decal over the first were you able to see the outline from the first through the second? To be clear, not see the color through, but see the edge of the lower one kind of "in relief" on the top one? Hope that makes sense. And did the second adhere completely around the edges? specifically the thin over hanging edge at the top? Did you use a heat gun at all?

Thanks for any tips... I just want mine to turn out looking as nice... I did a mock up in photoshop, but don't want to share yet... I think it will look really cool

Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Incompatible
Is that a hard shell replacement for your seat? Custom?
Targa cowl

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Question on your application regener8ed...
yes, there will be that slight difference in thickness at the opposite edge of the decals; but i'm a pretty picky guy and it didn't bother me. no trouble with adhesion either. my best tip would be to tell you to not show too little of the underlying color OR too much -- too little could leave an edge that will work its way loose over time (not to mention making the shadow pointless), and too much of an offset will make the top layer overlap with other areas of the underlying color (for example, the top line of the upper 6 would touch or cover the top of the oval on the lower 6.) for best visual results you want to leave at least a tiny bit of base paint showing through around the characters when both layers are laid on top of each other.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM

yes, there will be that slight difference in thickness at the opposite edge of the decals; but i'm a pretty picky guy and it didn't bother me. no trouble with adhesion either. my best tip would be to tell you to not show too little of the underlying color OR too much -- too little could leave an edge that will work its way loose over time (not to mention making the shadow pointless), and too much of an offset will make the top layer overlap with other areas of the underlying color (for example, the top line of the upper 6 would touch or cover the top of the oval on the lower 6.) for best visual results you want to leave at least a tiny bit of base paint showing through around the characters when both layers are laid on top of each other.
Thanks regener8ed, good tips... I think I have a good feel for how much drop shadow I plan to show, I literally scanned the decal into photoshop and duplicated it on multiple layers and played there... I know exactly what you are talking about with the edges of one color possibly overlapping the edge of the other color in the spaces between. There will be none of that! I can definitely tell you are "detail oriented" by the quality of the work done on your bike... so I appreciate your input! Results will be seen in this thread in a matter of days... keep an eye out

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Woo Hoo Final product! Application didn't go exactly as planned, but it turned out pretty good I think. On the top view pic the right side doesn't seem to have the drop shadow, but it's there. These are just iPhone pics, so the quality isn't awesome.

Name:  09882c88a4ef852ec54fbe1fde03514c_zpse2a8da9f.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  2d64b3a503d9c84fd8ffcac6c23fffc1_zps7fac5254.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  c9a62b2302d8a420f2748adb30020cd7_zps3c7c6d35.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  9ac186ea47e61515add6ef74c17bd03d_zps3827031a.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  60.1 KB