F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2004 F4i - Clutch Problems Turning Right

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F4i - Clutch Problems Turning Right

Hi CBR community!

Happy to finally join a forum. I recently purchased a 2004 CBR F4i with 22k on the clock. I love the bike so far but have just one issue...

Whenever turning right, like when leaving my driveway, it almost seems as if my clutch does not want to catch even while picking up the revs. I adjusted the clutch at both ends and left the proper gap (12mm) given in the service manual but this made no difference. What's strange is that the bike takes off perfectly fine from a dig going left or straight, hesitation only happens when turning right at times, it even stalls out if i don't give it the proper amount of gas/throttle. I do understand that there should be some difference when turning full lock right but this seems like too much.

Could this be something as simple as a bad clutch cable? Can it be routing? Ive tried searching up videos and pictures of clutch cable routing and mine looks similar.

Not really sure which way to approach this or if anyone else has had a similar experience. I appreciate any help in advance!

Old 09-10-2022, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hi @faviles5566 and welcome to the forum. If the cable is binding while turning right, then you should be able to see that while it's sitting still. Just turn the handlebars to the right and see if the "free play" in the clutch lever disappears. If it does, then likely cable routing. If not, then slipping clutch is where I'd be looking.

The following users liked this post:
faviles5566 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 12:06 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by faviles5566
Hi CBR community!
I do understand that there should be some difference when turning full lock right but this seems like too much.
Welcome!!!

There sholdn't be any difference in left or right once you have it set and locked. The sheath around the cable will keep this from happening. I agree with IDoDirt, it sounds like the cable is hung somehwere.

faviles5566 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Hi @faviles5566 and welcome to the forum. If the cable is binding while turning right, then you should be able to see that while it's sitting still. Just turn the handlebars to the right and see if the "free play" in the clutch lever disappears. If it does, then likely cable routing. If not, then slipping clutch is where I'd be looking.
Hey man! Thanks for your response. I've taken the right side fairing off to check any binding but did not see any visual binding. However, what I did notice is this...

I stood the bike up with the wheel straight and pulled the clutch lever back to feel out the free play right before the engagement point. I then turned the steering all the way left and the freeplay slightly increased, when I turned to the right, I felt the freeplay reduce significantly and lever pulled back on its own. Just wondering how to single out if it's the clutch or the cable 🤔.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

There has to be something wrong with the cable routing. Here is how it's routed on my wife's. Hope this helps.

faviles5566 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 10:19 AM

Hey guys thanks so much for the help so far. I rechecked routing and all looked fine on the bike.

I also removed the entire clutch cable to check for kinks or any irregularities. Nothing found, the cable slides smooth through the sheath. I regreased and reinstalled. Still the same thing, only this time I was able to see a bit more with the side cowl off. Turning the handlebars to the right, I can visually see the clutch lever on the clutch plate housing being pulled in. I'm pretty sure my routing is correct so I am not sure what's going on.

What I did not mention at first is that the bike was lowered when I first got it. But after raising back to stock height, I readjusted the clutch cable so I don't think it has to do with that. I attached a picture of how the bikes stem and cable looked while lowered.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Welcome crew
Received 318 Likes on 296 Posts

Your cable routing is very tight and does not come across / over the instrument cluster as it should do in the pic from IDoDirt, it appear to go under the bracket which is not the correct routing.
It is likely to be something that simple which is affecting the operation.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Al1040
Your cable routing is very tight and does not come across / over the instrument cluster as it should do in the pic from IDoDirt, it appear to go under the bracket which is not the correct routing.
It is likely to be something that simple which is affecting the operation.
Hey! This was the cable routing when I received the bike and it was lowered. You can see how high the triple clamps are in this picture. I'm going to try and get an updated one of how my handlebar currently looks today. Thanks for your reponse!

Old 09-13-2022, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that was seriously lowered. My wife's F4i was like that when we purchased it as well. But it wasn't anywhere near that low. They must have been really vertically challenged. Was the rear done as well?

See if you can post a video of the cable and lever as you rotate from left to right.

Also, ​​​​​​@Al1040 in this photo, it's turned to the LEFT. That would change the appearance of where the cable locates itself.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 09-13-2022 at 02:10 PM.
faviles5566 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 02:51 PM

@IDoDirt

Here is a video of the cable routing now that I have the bike raised again. The back was lowered as well but now back up too.

I'll get a video of me turning the handlebar as well.

Quick Reply: 2004 F4i - Clutch Problems Turning Right