F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 F4i - from Savannah GA

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 F4i - from Savannah GA

Hello,

I just bought a 2002 F4i. I have ridden it about 300 miles. It has pretty bad slide damage on the right. I recently bought hardware for the fairings and was going to repair the fairings and then paint them black.

As I removed the fairings I found a bunch of problems. The biggest problem is the over-flow coolant reservoir has be cut off from the radiator and it looks like the radiator has been JB weld. I also, for the first time looked at my coolant level and it looks like it is bone dry. I put in about a quart of distilled water in so far without firing up the engine. It was too late at night.

I would like some of your opinions about this? '

The bike rides strong and has never went over 220 F.
I have taken a bunch of photos that I'll try to upload asap. I am at work right now so it's impossible.

Other details about it looks like they removed the wiring from the temp sensor and may have jumpered it. Also, my ignition wiring has evidence of arcing. Most of these wiring issues I am comfortable with fixing. I would like to know if the PO had done something to hide the fact that there's a engine issue or radiator issue by disconnecting the temp sensor though.

All input would be great ...
I'll post more about it later.

~John

Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM

When you say that the coolant reservoir has been cut off from the radiator, do you simply mean that it didn't have the siphon hose wasn't attached from it to the radiator up top? Also something I have found that works very good to get any left over coolant/sediment that has built up inside is the following method. Pour a cup of white vinegar into the radiator followed by enough vinegar to fill the radiator the rest of the way. Then go ahead and take the bike for a little ride like to the store and back etc. Then go ahead and drain everything out and I am sure you will see some kind of nastiness come out. Just keep doing this till it comes out nice and clean then fill with your coolant of choice. =) The vinegar really cleans out the radiator etc very nicely. It's just like when you brew coffee through the coffee maker and it starts to taste super strong and nasty. You run vinegar and water through it to completely clean it all out. Same deal. =) Whenever you do get a chance, photos are always nice. =)

Last edited by HotWheels; 05-15-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM

My experience with my previous bike (SV650) was that the coolant reservoir was only used if the radiator didn't have enough coolant in it. Then it would draw from the reservoir. I expect it to be similar with the F4i.

You said you temp gauge has never gone over 220. I take it to mean that it moves? I don't see how it could be bypassed and still have a reasonable reading. My bike will range from 170-220.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 PM

Oops I just relized I made a typo in my previous post. I mean to say add one cup of white vinegar to the radiator followed by enough distilled water to top it off. Not completely fill the radiator with vinegar hahaha oops. :P

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Default 2002 F4i with problems

HotWheels,

The reservoir has the fitting end attached to the hose which should be attached to the radiator. My best guess is it snapped from a fall and the PO just JB welded it tight without doing anything with the reservoir. So I can't simply hookup the reservoir without doing some welding or replacing the radiator. Which really sucks. Also, I haven't started it up yet. I need to clean some electrical connections and look into the jump'd wire with green connectors just above and forward the stator cover. Not sure what it is. The green connectors are disconnected and one end has two wires stripped and twisted together. I get home late at night after work and rather go to sleep and look at it in the morning. However, the past couple days I've been sleeping in too much

~J

Old 05-17-2012, 03:07 AM

Ijdept i had to read your response a couple times before it finally sank in hehe. Perhaps it was the long day at work and me coming home totally brain dead hehe. So seems like what your saying is that the piece that the siphon hose hooks up to on the radiator was broken off and JB welded shut to where nothing can be hooked up to it. Wow...0.o that is really interesting 0.o......Does the bike have rash on it ? Are there other tale tell signs of a crash? I'm really surprised that piece would end up breaking off...but I guess there is no other way it could besides a crash of some sort......is the radiator bent? The radiator is made to have a slight arch to it if that's correct to say as Honda had done this to increase the surface area that the wind would hit to help increase cooling efficiency btw.

In regards to DarkNinja75's post, yes you are exactly correct that the radiator only pulls from the reservoir when the coolant is low etc. This also translates to the cooling system being able to completely bleed the air from itself which in turn delivers optimum/proper cooling. It is the same for any bike.

jdept do I think you can ride your bike around town a bit just fine if you top off the radiator with good coolant keeping an eye on the temps for a little while? I am sure you can. However as stated you WILL have air trapped in your system that you won't be able to bleed out and your cooling system will not completely be doing it's job 100% and it may very well still run a bit hot after some time/riding hard. I certainly wouldn't make a habit out of it. I'm just speaking of a very short term thing to at least be able to ride it a little or really need it for transportation to work etc. Either you take your bike to a shop and see if they can weld up some kind of little pipe to your radiator if possible, or you will have to buy another radiator. You might even be able to go to ace hardware and find some small pipe or something that could be cut to size and welded on. The only other question is, can the type of metal on the radiator even be welded? You'd have to take it by a trusted welder and see what they say. I wish you good luck. ^^

In regards to looking into the wire with green connectors, I have no clue what this is off hand however I actually do have a wiring diagram that also happens to be completely in color. If you would like to give me your email address I would be happy to send it to you. Might really help you out. ^^ =)

Last edited by HotWheels; 05-17-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Figures,

I am going to fix it. I am thinking I can thread a hole in the JB weld and thread a fitting for the reservoir hose and then JB weld over that? It does look like the crash may have damaged the radiator and the PO fixed it. The right side is pretty rough and needs work.

~J