F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 CBR F4i upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 CBR F4i upgrades

I've had my CBR 02 F4i for a few months bought it with 35kmiles on it & currently have 39k on it and want help putting in new parts into the transmission and engine...what are a few upgrades I can put into? Durable parts, parts for more speed (top out at 171) and what engine mods can I do? Not interested in buying a new bike nor taking it to a track just need suggestions on engine & trans mods/upgrades

Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM

is anything wrong with it? if you want to get more speed you are going to redo your gearing, or change the sprocket.
you are pretty much designing a new bike at that point if you go into the gearbox.
if at least 250k miles on somone's bike here isnt durable enough then i would like to know about these parts too.
start with the suspension, chances are its not for your body weight, you can upgrade the valves and springs for the front and the spring for the rear.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Bike is in good condition I except massive oil leak at high rate of speeds...think its either a pressure problem or stator gasket...the bike has no other problems I bought it from someone else and its at 39k, I would like to just upgrade some parts so it last longer.... My plan was to have a mechanic open her up and look at any wear and tear and replace the parts from there

Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM

does the bike have too much oil in it? the f4i is a very reliable bike, and built like a tank. you should find out where the bike is leaking from.
this also helps when getting an estimate from the mechanics for repair, or if its simple you can fix it yourself, and save money for an expensive valve adjustment.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 PM

so i guess to answer your question, genuine honda parts, replace what is damaged, im not aware of any aftermarket cams.
but at the price of engine mods, its probably going to be cheaper to trade in for a new/newer bike, and make the new one more comfortable.
full exhaust if you can find it is about a grand, the HRC cams.. probably rarer than a full exhaust cost $5,730.
all honda internals are quality products and like i said unless you plan on redesigning your gear ratio's (not sure if possible) then you are best to replace only whats bad.
again you can change the drive chain sprockets but you will lose/gain acceleration to gaining/losing top speed.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Might be to much oil after my last oil change, and I'm actually putting in a stator casket instead of just using that orange or grey gasket sealant...guess that would be a better idea to just open her up and just replace the worn parts wit OEM parts...might save me some money too... Someone suggested Boring it and Port & Polish the heads, guessing that's my best bet before upgrading to an CBR1000 in the near future! Bike already max out at 171mph guess that's fast enough with me weighing 165lbs

Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by YvenelC
I'm actually putting in a stator casket instead of just using that orange or grey gasket sealantSomeone suggested Boring it and Port & Polish the heads, guessing that's my best bet before upgrading to an CBR1000 in the near future! Bike already max out at 171mph guess that's fast enough with me weighing 165lbs
1st, good choice on using a gasket. This isen't a rear axle in a pickup truck or a crap dodge product. 2nd, boring it is a really bad idea. As you can tell by my name, I have an idea of what it may do, and that is nothing. You overbore a motor when the cylinders have worn beyond what the rings can compensate for. A overbore adds virtually no displacment or power. As for porting and polishing the head, you'll spend huge money for little gain, not to mention polishing the intake ports is a big no no. Smooth surfaces let fuel stop being suspended in the air and stick to the port walls so you have fuel droplets entering the cylinder instead of atomized fuel. Your alot like me when I got into motorcycles, meaning your a car person and your thinking like it. Bikes aren't like cars. They are already tuned much higher. Getting more power is hard. To put it in perspective, if the 6.0L v8 in a chevy corvette was tuned like our f4i's, it would have over 1000hp while running on 87 octane.
As for top speed, just change the sprockets. Thats easy.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 PM

That really helps a lot...so NO to boring, polishing & porting, o I'm going to open her up and change worn parts with OEM parts and enjoy my CBR as it is until I upgrade to my 1000RR in the near future.... You've saved me so much hassel, money and time, any other suggestions please let me know, guess ill change out my suspension, I'm happy with my sprockets seeing I my speedometer reads 171 at top speeds...my biggest concern was 39k miles which seems like a HUGE number to me

Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM

these rides when it comes to performance are awesome. i have weighed the options and considered all the gains.. but you start one thing you get into another and another until the gains become a waste of time.

for example you could go with high compression wisco piston kit.. then get into a power commander full exhaust upgrade gearing to aluminum sprockets lightwieght chain. remove pair system.

and realistic gains would be minimal.... might see some difference but you are getting into 1400-1900 usd for a FI light that stays on and what maybe 10hp or a bit more?? give or take i am unsure

this bike is awesome and you will be happy with top end set sprocket..
you really don't have far to go... cause realistic speed of a f4i can reach 168MPH but really why would you go that fast???? just wondering

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Is this 171 corrected speed or what the speedo is reading? If it is what it's reading, I'm sure it is, then you can take 8-10% off that if I remember right. But I agree with stlcbr- why would you want to go that fast, and where?

Also, why do you think it needs to be opened and freshened up? If it is running fine and only has the oil leak, fix that and ride the heck outta it. I doubt with 35k it needs to be freshened.

Last edited by Scott91370; 01-20-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 CBR F4i upgrades