F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 Honda F4i "FI" Light Issue

Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Honda F4i "FI" Light Issue

I recently purchased an '01 F4i and have a fairly serious issue with it (which I posted about in another thread of mine):

Randomly the bike will shut off at traffic lights or coasting up to traffic lights. I also had the bike start to feel as if it were bucking and then the "FI" light pops on (doesnt flash a code..just comes on) and then the rpms drop and the bike dies.

Anyone have a similar bucking feeling followed by the FI light and the bike dying? I havent had it happen at speed yet...just under 10mph or so in parking lots and sitting at traffic lights.

FWIW, I tested the battery voltage yesterday and all seemed well with the voltages with the bike off, on, and revved to 5k rpms. So that would indicate the R/R is still good.

Curious about any suggestions you all may have for what could be causing this fairly crappy condition I am experiencing??

Thanks![/align]

Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM
WOT
Default RE: 2001 Honda F4i "FI" Light Issue

Could be a lot of things. Fuel flow, air flow, or spark. Is your idle low? Do you have a Power Commander?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: WOT

Could be a lot of things. Fuel flow, air flow, or spark. Is your idle low? Do you have a Power Commander?
Thanks for the reply.

No, idle seems about right (1400 or so). The bike does have a power commander (I didnt install it).

Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
WOT

I would start with the power commander settings since that controls the air fuel mixture on your FI. It should have some LED lights that indicate your settings. Check their site for directions.

If it were me, I would throw in some new plugs, clean or replace your air filter, drop some gas treatment in your tank, replace your fuel filter, and look for obvious crimping of your fuel lines.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:41 PM

I would start with the power commander settings since that controls the air fuel mixture on your FI. It should have some LED lights that indicate your settings. Check their site for directions.

If it were me, I would throw in some new plugs, clean or replace your air filter, drop some gas treatment in your tank, replace your fuel filter, and look for obvious crimping of your fuel lines.
Ill check the PC when I get home. Apparently this is a new sensation and the PC has been installed for the past few years...Ill check it anyway.

The airfilter was replaced semi-recently by the PO.

I recently put freshgas in, but I might try a treatment anyway.

Its really not a problem most of the time indicating the fuel lines aren't crimped, the gas isnt bad, and the plugs are fine. I havent heard any missing or detonation so I would think the plugs are gapped about right and all in working order.

Ill try the above and see what I dont find.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
WOT

In general, you notice problems like this at low idle. Everything feels fine when you get on the gas hard.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM

In general, you notice problems like this at low idle. Everything feels fine when you get on the gas hard.
Does the fact that it only occurs sometimes indicate or point to one particular problem of the above you listed?

I really appreciate your responses.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM
WOT

Not sure about that. Have you noticed any triggers like it only happens when it's warm out or something?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Not sure about that. Have you noticed any triggers like it only happens when it's warm out or something?
No unfortunatley, not. Its happenned8 times thus far in my 3 days of riding:

1) Occurred as I left a stoplight (maybe @ 2-3mph)
2) Felt some bucking while riding at about 20mph and then the bike died as I coasted up to a stoplight shortly after the bucking
3-5) At the same stoplight as #2, the bike would fire back up and then die after idling normally for 15-20 seconds would die. Happenned 3 times in a row
6) Occurred as I sat at a stoplight. Everything was fine as I rolled up (no bucking for the whole beginning of the ride) and then after sitting for 30 seconds or so the bike just died
7) Occurred in a parking lot. As I pulled into the lot I could feel the bike bucking and the bike died as I slowed to maybe 10 miles an hour. I bump started it with the clutch and it came back to life and all was well again.
8) Occurred as I made a u-turn. After making the turn, and let the clutch out I saw the FI light flash..the bike bucked and then died. I tried to restart it with the switch to no avail and again bump started it as I was on a hill and could do so. Bike ran fine the rest of the 1 mile home.

Ive only ridden the bike about 60 miles total...so thats alot of stalling for 60 miles and only a few hours. It doesnt seem temp related as its been 70-80F every day Ive been on the bike and it generally happens with the bike at operating temps. For some reason it idles just fine while sitting at my condo (maddenning as it will stall on the road at idle, but not in the parking lot)

Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM

haha you gotta squeeeeeze the clutch when something to a stop

haha jk.

I can offer no help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Honda F4i "FI" Light Issue