F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 f4i

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2001 f4i

Hey guys just recently came into possession of a 2001 cbr600 F4I that has been sitting for about 15 years. I am by no means mechanically inclined so consider this a learning experience for me. First steps were to take off tank get rid of the rust chips (15 year old gas is something else) needed a new fuel pump (New/Used Ebay) I purchased a new/used fuel rail with injectors cause the ones on it looked beyond saving, The fuel pump primes and she cranks but does not start. If i remove the top of the air box and shoot some starter fluid in she fires up and makes me feel all warm inside but thats about it. Replaced Fuses, Only thing that concerns me is when trying to start sometimes theres a white smoke and it smells like that burnt smell im sure you've smelled on a bike before but its not everytime. Could it be possible that the fuel injectors are not firing? or the fuel pressure is not enough? The fact it starts with starter fluid and not on crank leads me to believe its not getting fuel. Any advice would be appreciated maybe something simple I overlooked or maybe something above my pay grade.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Fuel pressure regulators are known issues.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:32 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Welcome! And, yeah, sounds like the fpr... Good luck and feel free to show off your bike with a few pics!

Old 04-28-2022, 04:09 PM

Okay so I got a new fpr and put er on to be disappointed, I forgot to mention a big part that the guy who had it before had a power commander on her and I unplugged one part of it but didn't notice the other plug in, you know the plug in to tell the FI to fire. So now she starts! Lots of F*ck yeahs when I got that going. Now that she running its running at a high idle and I tried to mess with the throttle body adjustment but it didn't do anything, im assuming id have to reset the ECU but have no clue how to. Attached I got a video of it idling and a close up of the tail pipe with the white smoke but it is hard to see just wondering if thats something to be concerned about or just a tradeoff from not running in 15 years. because it wasn't running I was holding off on the oil change but now thats gonna happen over the weekend. Any other tips or something I overlooked would be awesome. Maybe toss in some ancient wisdom I can pass down Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
cbr600 running.mov (7.94 MB, 29 views)
File Type: mov
Tailpipesmoke.mov (3.43 MB, 10 views)
Old 04-29-2022, 04:05 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds good! And I wouldn't worry too much about that little bit of smoke for now...

Old 04-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Welcome crew
Received 318 Likes on 296 Posts

Fantastic, how long did you leave it running? From cold it will take a few minutes for the revs to come down to normal idling.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Al1040
Fantastic, how long did you leave it running? From cold it will take a few minutes for the revs to come down to normal idling.
I let it run for about 2 mins cause I wasn't sure if I was doing more harm than good with the white smoke, I tried to give it a little throttle to test the waters and she OPENED up and was just screaming for a bit, I know the throttle or the butterfly valves aren't sticking because I noted that before reassembly, which makes me think it's the ECU from when previous owner had a commander pro on it

Old 04-29-2022, 09:13 AM
Welcome crew
Received 318 Likes on 296 Posts

I would let it run for a bit more to see if it settles down, the white smoke is probably just condensation so should not be an issue. If it was black smoke then I would be worried.
Not sure about the ECU as the power commander overlays on top of the ECU and mainly adjust the fuel air mixture so not sure if it would stop that happening.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Al1040
I would let it run for a bit more to see if it settles down, the white smoke is probably just condensation so should not be an issue. If it was black smoke then I would be worried.
Not sure about the ECU as the power commander overlays on top of the ECU and mainly adjust the fuel air mixture so not sure if it would stop that happening.
Okay I'll give it a try tonight thank you

Old 04-29-2022, 02:39 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree that the smoke is going to be condensation.
If the idle stays high after the engine gets to 150* F you can always adjust it with the twist **** just above the chain/kind of behind the fame. Possible someone turned it in too far.

Now time for some pics!!

Quick Reply: 2001 f4i