2001 cbr600f4i Won't Start - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 cbr600f4i Won't Start

Old 08-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Default 2001 cbr600f4i Won't Start

Hello everyone,
A few weeks ago I purchased a 2001 cbr 600 f4i. I knew it had a starting issue when I bought it. I bought it from a young college student who had owned the bike for about a year. He said "the bike had been running like a champ until about a month ago, then it would not start one evening (no fuel pump prime)". He said "he had checked fuses (they're good) and that was all, and figured it needed a new fuel pump." He needed money for school books/tuition and didn't want to mess with fixing the bike. I got a good deal and I thought that it would be a fairly simple fix (fuel pump, relay, BAS, etc..)
WELL, now after many hours of trouble shooting, I am stumped.
Here is what I have done:

--Stripped down the bike, of course. (All Plastics/Fairings are new BTW)

--Read and researched a bunch; probably every cbr600f4i "NO START" Forum/Thread that has ever hit the internet...

--Found a wire that was spliced onto close to the ECM and it was not connected to anything. It had a small square-like connector on it. Was getting a trouble code 14 (faulty no. 3 injector) and during the course of testing the injectors per the service manual parameters, I determined the wire(pink/green) that was spliced and not connected was the wire that should be connected to the ECM for the no. 3 injector. I fixed the splice (solder, heat shrink) and connected the wire to the proper terminal at the ECM.
Turned the ignition to on and, HOORAY, the fuel pump primed for a few seconds. YES, now I'm sure the bike will start. Well, it didn't. Just cranks and cranks......

--Determined I have no spark, and Trouble code 19 (Faulty Ignition Pulse Generator). I installed a new Ipg, and new spark plugs. Charged battery up good and got ready for it to fire up. NOPE. Just cranks and cranks.. Still no spark at all plugs.

--Coils test good and have "initial" voltage with key on. Don't have a peak tester so no peak voltage while cranking test has been done.

--Checked BAS, good... Have even tried jumpering it.

--Removed the grounding point under tank, cleaned, re-connected tightly.

--Checked sensors and test procedures according to service manual.

--Clutch, Side stand switches - good. (even though these would only not allow cranking if faulty)

--Yes, I have checked the pink wire from ignition switch. 9 volts at the ECM.

--Checked every connection and disconnected, cleaned, and reconnected.

--Jumped from car battery(not running) while cranking.

Everything seems to work (All lights, fuel pump prime, fuel mist from the injectors in the throttle body while cranking), just no spark even with new IPG and new plugs.

What next? ECM.......

Haven't had a bike for a few years and I wanna ride...

Last edited by wot34; 08-26-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Update:

I found a used ECU from a good running bike at a reasonable price so I bought it. It came in the mail today.
I installed it, turned the ignition on, held my breath, and pressed the starter button. The bike fired right up. YES... Runs like a champ

Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 AM

Glad you figured it out!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanks...
I've been enjoying it the last few days. I am going to install a new CCTL soon. The bike makes alot of racket (sounds like shaking a metal coffee can full of nuts and bolts) right around 4k-5k RPM... It doesn't do it while cool (during warmup) . The noise starts happening when the bike temp reaches about 150 deg. F....
Otherwise, it's running like a champ.