CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   06 1000RR Subframe on 01 F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/06-1000rr-subframe-01-f4i-144303/)

Freelicks 04-21-2013 10:58 PM

Update + Request for mods

11 Attachment(s)
**I'd like to change the title of this thread to "1000RR tail mod on F4i" or something like that if possible, thanks sir moderators!**

It's been a while since I've posted an update, and an even longer while since I've started this mod. I must admit I have been a little lazy, but I feel its coming together quite lovely. Pics first, thoughts afterwards.

Attachment 33476

Attachment 33477

Attachment 33478

Attachment 33479

Attachment 33480

Attachment 33481

Attachment 33482

Attachment 33483

Attachment 33484

Attachment 33485

Attachment 33486

I remembered I had an old fairing I acquired from a cousin, and started using this as spare ABS. Cut up some pieces to fit in the gaps, and used a heat gun to curve them accordingly. After using a soldering iron, small pieces of abs, and a lot a patience I was able to confidently take it off and put it back on with confidence. I made sure to heat up both sides of the plastic, and the tail feels very good, can flex and is fairly durable. The seat has been on the backburner, but now that I am nearly ready to paint, that will be my next update. Just a few. At this point, I needed to rework the undertail as it was not as strong as it should have been. A couple of layers of fiberglass later, I had something much more durable, but it still needs to be trimmed for a better fitment. Final photos are of the bike with the tail on, first time in months! Integrated light could've had more LED's, but it was worth the price. May attach some extra turn signals on the plate or undertail though (still debating). I reckon all that's left is the trimming and paint. I'm not too much of a painter, so I'm leaning towards having it done professionally. Either way, I'd like to do some trimming and prep work, just to make sure everything is in tip top shape before doing so.

It hasn't been easy, the work looks a little messy, and if it ever gets damaged, I'd have to make it all over again, but so far I think it has been worth it. At least for me. I am truly excited to see the end product. I am thinking of going with an all white tail, simply because If I choose a different color scheme, its less work to deal with I have to admit, though, that the Red end piece is growing on me.

Updates whenever I have the time to finish the seat.

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

Freelicks 04-25-2013 09:20 PM

Dropped off

Just dropped her off to get sanded and painted. Also having him buff my tank and just give the whole bike a good wax and cleaning. Said I should be riding by the end of next week, but things always do come up. Lets see how this goes, updates whenever my next moves are made.:icon_dance-twist:

Halzinky 04-26-2013 11:59 AM

Looks good man... You've had a long haul with this project... Im interested in the end result as I REALLLY want to do this to mine... 1 question... If you had to do it again... would you? Is the mod worth the time and energy?

Freelicks 05-05-2013 09:54 AM

Completion

5 Attachment(s)
Well my friends, I know there hasn't been much interest in my build (Possibly due to the name of it, how can I get it changed?) but I just wanted to post an update.

Halzinky, you asked if it was worth the trouble earlier next week. I was going to answer, but I figured I wouldn't know if it was worth it until I got it back and saw it in person. After doing so, I have to say that for me, it was definitely worth it. My first project of this caliber, and it came out pretty darn good. I've learned a thing or two dealing with this project, including fiberglass work and a little ingenuity. If I had to do it again, I would, BUT now that I know how I did it, I reckon I could do it in less time, and not be lazy. The Fiberglassing killed 2-3 weeks of my time, and I had to backtrack when I peeled it off and started fresh. Some days I was lazy, while others I had no time. Additionally, during the beginning my bike was at another location, so it wasn't readily accessible. I wouldn't have cut as much of my stock tail fairing, and I would've left my helmet hooks (darn!). Also, trying to get the mounting brackets for the 1000rr seat on my bike killed a week or two as well, and I ended up scrapping that idea (not worth it IMO). The fitment of the seat needs to be adjusted, but that's nothing major.

The finish and paint - $400
1000RR Tail - $45
1000RR Seat -$40
954 Taillight - $30
Fiberglass (3qts + 3 cloths) ~$75
ABS - Free
Tools - ~$80

Grand total of $670. I may be missing a thing or two, but I'd say it was anywhere between 700-800 USD over the course of these past months. If someone could do the finishing and paint themselves, I'm sure they'd save that money. My painting skills are rubbish, and I didn't want to risk messing this up so close to the end, so I chose to have it done by a third party. I'd say it was a 9-9.5 out of 10 as there were a few VERY small blemishes (nothing that would drive me crazy). Either way, I plan on repainting the bike this winter. Same scheme, possibly different colors. All in all, I am very satisfied with the finished result, and Yes, I would do it again.

tl;dr: Wasn't easy, total $800 or so, but definitely worth it

Now time for pics! Thoughts?

Attachment 33282

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...pscb11f7bd.jpg

Attachment 33283

Attachment 33284

Attachment 33285

Attachment 33286

Here you can see the curves I wanted to keep. I know other users have done it a bit differently, but I wanted to keep them and further separate my bike from the other F4i's around. I love it!
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15ccc247.jpg

As always, questions and comments are appreciated. Woohoo!

Spartan86 05-05-2013 08:38 PM

That looks incredibly clean! How big is the under-seat storage area?

Ser Jon 05-06-2013 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Why cut plastic?

Attachment 33264

Freelicks 05-06-2013 09:39 AM

Spartan86, Thanks! Storage area is the same as any other undertail mod. Trimmed the battery tray a little more, but I still have the area for the tool kit and such. The tail light takes a little more room than my old one, but nothing major. I will try and take a photo after work.

Ser Jon, I had this spare fairing and it was scuffed up. Needed some ABS so I used this to complete my tail. Not ideal, but it got the job done.