F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

03 f4i mpg problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 f4i mpg problems

so i recently bought an 03 f4i with 6800 miles, that sat for 8 months. starts perfectly and idles a little rough. i put some injector cleaner into it the first full tank i've had it and just put in some more for my recent full tank on sunday. i've only gone 40-50 miles and my reserve gauge just popped up!

i've changed the oil to mobil 1 the week i got it. it has a pc3 connected but when the bike is running, no lights start up on it. no lights have even turned on, on it actually. it also has scorpion shorty.

what could be causing the horrible mpg? i'm going to change out the spark plugs and air filter on friday but could that be it?

also when cruising at 70mph, what is everyone's rpm at? i'm right around 6k and that seems high.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your fuel pressure regulator got gummed up after sitting for that long??

thats gotta be the worst mileage i've heard of at 9 miles per gallon i think a sherman tank gets better mileage lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM

6K at 70 mph sounds about right, maybe slightly high. As for 50 miles before the reserve comes on, I just can't believe your bike would be getting that bad of mileage w/o it being obvious to you. My guess is that either a) you have a leak somewhere either in the tank or the fuel lines, causing much of the gas to disappear that way, or b) there is some sort of malfunction with the gas gauge sensor. I know this is probably obvious, but have you looked inside your tank with a flashlight to make sure that the gas is actually as low as the gauge is telling you it is?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM

whenever i fill up with the reserve bars, i can't see the gas just by looking into the tank but i cant hear it sloshing a bit.

if there's a leak, i would have seen something when i lifted the gas tank over the weekend. the bottom was clean and i've seen no liquid dripping from it or below the bike after it sits for a few days.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 AM
July 2010 ROTM

do another tank and see if it does it again
does the exhaust smell like gas?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 AM

exhaust smells a lot different than my car but that's bc my car has cats. i can't tell if its fuel or just unclean air.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 AM

did this happen just once, or repeatedly?? did you fill up at the 50mile mark, if so how much fuel did it hold. I know on my 954 sometimes the phantom fuel light comes on when it wants to. Not trying to call you stupid but did you actually check to see how much fuel was in the tank? If so and it has happend more than once you definitely have a leak.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM

this is the first time i reset the trip computer when i filled it with gas. the last tank seemed to last me a bit more ~70 miles but still really bad.

when i filled the tank to full, it took a bit more than 3 gallons with the gas reserve light being at full bars.

i will check the actual level of the gas when i get home today with a flashlight and etc.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM

did a little bit of digging (searching the forum) and i found this thread:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...mileage&page=2

basically the same problems that i've been seeing. points out the FPR may be to blame. i'm going to order that and change it this weekend as well. From looking at all the old posts, it seems that bikes with low mileage that sit, seem to have bad FPRs.

can anyone suggest a place to buy the part?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheapcycleparts.com..like the ad on top of the page..i use them for mechanical and electrical stuff..all OEM Honda parts..that or try bikebandit.com..they tend to be a little more pricey(sp.)..

here u go..

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/14454

Quick Reply: 03 f4i mpg problems