F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 F4i - undertail kit subframe tweaked..tail plastic cracks HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 F4i - undertail kit subframe tweaked..tail plastic cracks HELP

First would like to introduce my self as I just joined..

Names Shawn, I am from ROC-NY and have been riding for about 5 years or so now. First bike was a fizzer 600 like new (sorry miss that bike). I am upgrading to a 600RR this year.

Ok here is a couple issues I have with my current bike (2002 honda cbr 600 F4i)
I bought the bike form another person who did a badjob cuttin the tail plastic fender.

the left side (while sittin) has a gab bewteen the tail plstic and the fender and also part hangs down low (making it hard to put the undertail kit on).

PIC:

right befor the blinker you can see the fender saging down (suposed to be tucked above and in tail plastic)

1st arrow points to part that is stickin out, other two arrows are pointin to the bar that go across that holds the tail plastic up and I think is slightly bent maybe making the fender sag a little, other than the bad hack job at the fender (zipties holding on the light tothe bar)

next to pics show the left side gap vs the right side correct posistion:

whats the best way to fix this cheap and quick? should I strip the tail frame off and try to bed the part back up hopin it will raise the fender? or should I buy a new complete fender cut it my self and mod it. I already have a hotbodies unertail kit that I can't use becuase of this (a year now with it). does anybody have one cheap I can buy and I also need the plastic screws that go under the tail (of course on the left side they don't work becuase the fender is sticking out and down)

next two pics are of the tail plastic. The screw that holds the front of it on by gas tank.... both sides have stress (deep cracks actually all the way through). How do I fix this and prevent it from happening again? Is this normal wear? some body filler on the inside? and just paint taill to match?

any help would be great. I am tryin to get this bike back to shape as it needs a few minor things...

Thanks
Shawn

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 02 F4i - undertail kit subframe tweaked..tail plastic cracks HELP

i can't really tell from your pix...but in the first ones it just looks like the tail needs to come over the black plastic part...do you know what i mean? looks like it was just installed badly but not cut up badly or anything along the sides. just tuck it in under the yellow tail section.

as far as the stress cracks, yes they are very normal and quite common. the fix that i've been using with 100% success is reinforcing the insides of the fairing with additional or more foam material. there are already stock pieces there but they are too short and only press against the tank when the fairing is under lots of stress. i glued a longer piece of spong so that it actually pushes against the tank.

as far as fixing the cracks, anything will work, from ABS glue to plastic weld, etc.

good luck.

t

Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 F4i - undertail kit subframe tweaked..tail plastic cracks HELP

no the subframe might have a bend in that bar and the fender was realy cut bad.... i tried many things to line it up but can't..

Thanks