F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 f4i problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 f4i problems

i just picked up another f4i the thing has so many spliced wires im just gunna get a new harness and rewire it all ... but in time id like 2 adress some issues someoen might have some info on.

when i goto start it up . sometimes it start sometimes it doesnt and the fuel pump stays running which my old f4i never did also the fan doesnt kick on till like 220 or so and yes the bikes running hotter than normal theres a buncha littel germlins i wanan work out

i havent chekced anything yet i jsut havent had the time 2 .. when i get off tomm im gunna test a good battery i have out first than test the starter and stator as far as the starting issue ..

now as far as how hot its running when im on hter interstate it runs fine 170-190 in traffic .. can get up to 190-230 i know thats a littel hotter than normal... im gunan drain the coolant and get some fresh stuff in there .. what else can i be checkin besides that?

i have a manual for the bike also

any help would be great thanks

Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM

first im not trying to be an *** but your grammer sucks. it makes it harder for everyone to read. Second, are you asking any questions? all i see is problems that could have a million different things wrong with them

Old 05-08-2011, 11:48 AM

ya my grammer is and im gunna jump into workin on the bike tomm when i get off work

problem 1 bike is hard 2 start sometimes it will start sometimes it wont.. im gunna check the battery the starter and stator ... if u have any other suggestion pls feel free 2 add them

problem 2 the bikes running slightly hot.. im gunan flush the coolant system and get a fresh batch of coolant /water in it ... if u have any other suggestion pls feel free 2 add them 2 try

also the fuel pump stays running which is werid normally u turn hte key it pops on for 3 secs and cuts off on my old f4i anyway ...

basicly if u can point me in any direction to check for certain problems it would be helpful

Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 AM

1. is it turning over and not starting(having good power, no spark) or is it dying after trying to turn it over. bad battery?
2. MAKE SURE YOU POUR THE SAME COLOR COOLANT BACK INTO IT. if you are switching coolant, run 4-5 batches of DISTILLED water through the system. If two different color coolants mix, they will gel and kill your engine
3. the fuel pump is priming, its normal.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:03 PM

1. sometimes it will try 2 turnover and wont .. sometimes it will just start ..sometimes it will just kill the gauges lights and all and not start ... also when i do get it to start i gotta stay on the gass for 10 secs or so otherwise it wants 2 kill .. after that tho its runs fine

2. k did not know that .. good thing i asked ..any coolant u would reccommend? i live in new orleans .. humid and hot summers all the time

3. ok it just stays on the old 1 would turn on and cut off after 3 secs .. wasnt sure what was the norm

also i forgot im pullin a map sensor code i checked it out the air line thats suppsoe 2 run to the map sesnsor is gone that should be easy fix tho hopefully not much is missin when i get into the bike

Last edited by Fool; 05-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM

ok so i got into the bike yesterday put my f4 battery on there and it started right up .. no problems ... did it few times no prob.. than it started giving me problems the voltage on the battery looked good .. i did notice at some points the voltage would jump way up when i moved the charger wire around .. than outta no wher it started workin fine again .. maybe i have a ground problem or short that cleared id k some more work needed in that

fixed the map sensor problem

didnt change any fluids yet wanted 2 get the bike running good first

Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM

the honda hp coolant is what i run. that sounds like a fried wire may be touching metal, just trace the wires back and see if any wires look bad. And i live in NC where the summers suck almost as bad as there and the hp coolant did fine. Im glad to hear the bike is running again man

Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM

ya thats what we narrowed it down 2 jsut gotta go thru it some more

thanks man

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

got it starting up rigfht ... and running right fdor the most part

now when im riding hte temp stays fine .. but when i stop.. it goes up quick i was at like 188 or something and stopped at a light wacthed it get up to 220 i thin kbeofer the fan kicked on.. is that normal.. cause i wanan say my fan kicked in aroind 200 on my old f4i .. i cant remember tho

Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM

220F is when the fan kicks on

Quick Reply: 02 f4i problems