F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02' F4I o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02' F4I o2 sensor

My diagnostic light is blinking and have finally had a mechanic tell me the code was my o2 sensor. Now i know with a car its not that big of a deal, is it the same with a motorcycle or is this something i need to change out asap? If so, can someone please help walk me through the process of changing it out.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:07 AM
Default RE: 02' F4I o2 sensor

I had a look in my manual and the oxygen sensor it islocated in the mid pipe of your exhaust between the exhaust manifold and your muffler. You need to undo the connector which looks to be near the rear shock its a natural colour which is kind of beige. You may have to remove the right side fairing toget to the sensor. Using an oxygen sensor socket, unscrew the oxygen sensor from the exhaust. Some heat from a torch may be necessary to loosen it if its seized. The oxygen sensor is a VERY important part on both a car and a bike. It senses oxygen levels in the exhaust and determines if the bike/car is running lean or rich. this reading will be sent to the computer and fuel will be added or subtracted as needed. in a car leaving the faulty sensor can cause damage to the catalytic converter and also decrease your fuel mileage. I've never replaced one on my bike, but many on cars. So I'm going by whats in the manual. Hope this helps

Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 AM

F4i guy, I'm not sure I agree with you regarding how important the O2 sensor is on the CBR. I think on a car the O2 sensor plays a more active roll, but not so much on the CBR.
The Power Commander site says:
"The system is designed to read the Oxygen sensor under certain conditions and temporarily change the air/fuel ratio. The closed loop circuit has a very limited operating range, which is only in effect while holding a steady speed at certain rpm's and throttle positions. In this limited area, the stock system (with or without the Power Commander) will gradually and temporarily lean out the air fuel ratio in an attempt to achieve an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 (stochiometric).
The Oxygen sensors can be disconnected but this will trip the F.I. dash warning light. "

Reference:
http://www.powercommander.com/buynowacc.shtml

Old 02-15-2007, 04:05 AM

Yeah on our bikes it only slightly leans out the air fuel ratio when you are basically on the highway, or riding like you are. If you keep your RPMs in a small range, pretty much when you are just cruising, thats when it leans out your air fuel ratio to help reduce emissions and give you better gas mileage. Other than that it doesn't do anything. I put an O2 sensor eliminator kit on my bike, because I didn't have a bung in my D&D pipe for one. My bike still runs great, so if you don't feel like putting a rush on replacing it I wouldn't worry bout it.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:08 PM

I appreciate the responses, If i ever have to bring to the shop to get something done, I'll get it replaced.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's the O2 sensor...do not get it replaced unless it's under warranty...cause that part alone costs like $100.

it's very easy to do...the sensor wire runs from the sensor at the midpipe to the left side of the bike, right above the idle adjustment screw. just unclip it and put an O2 eliminator on there.

your MPG will go down, by a few miles or so.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:45 PM

lifties and Bmoneyf4i, I didn't realize the O2 on a cbr played such a small roll in the maintaining stoich. I am used to cars, as it plays a bigger role and has negative affects on other components if not replaced. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 PM

No problem f4i guy, I found out on this forum exactly what it did, so I like to be able to pass the info back on.

+1 to Tahoe, rowleymatt if I was you I would just plug the bung and get an eliminator. It was only like $15 so it's much cheaper than another O2 sensor, and the loss in gass mileage is minimal, I honestly don't even realize it, and I'm not filling my tank up any faster than my friends.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 eliminator

What kind of effect would using the eliminator have without running a pcIII?

I went to a shorty GP style exhaust but left the 02 sensor. After about 300 miles I get an FI code of two long and 3 short flashes. I believe this is the 02 sensor code. It appears I have toasted the sensor due to the extra heat being so close to the sensor.

If I can run an eliminator without a pcIII (bike doesn't have one and i'm broke right now) then I will do so, I just don't want to lose power or toast anything else in the process in the engine.

Thanks,
Gary