F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 CBR F4i Bad Battery, Maybe? Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 CBR F4i Bad Battery, Maybe? Help

Hi everyone,

I have an 02 CBR F4i that has been rock solid over the years. However, recently it has been acting up. Towards the end of a longer trip it started sputtering. I was trying to hold the throttle steady but it was choppy. (As if it were running out of gas or the fuel mix was off) As I am getting closer to home the headlight was getting dimmer and it eventually died before I made it home. I could not get it to start back up, not even popping the clutch would work. After I got it home, I hooked it up to my battery tender and next morning she fires up and ran fine.
I decided to run around town on it to see if it would occur again. I stopped for a drink and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't. I was able to roll n start it this time and get back home.

Is this just my battery going bad or am I looking at something else? As far as I know this is the original battery. Any help would great.

Thanks for reading
--race--

Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Sounds like the battery or alternator to me. Just take the battery out and go to autozone or advance auto and they can do a load test on it to see if it is any good.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by alloutf4i
Sounds like the battery or alternator to me. Just take the battery out and go to autozone or advance auto and they can do a load test on it to see if it is any good.
X2. Check the battery first and go from there.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 AM

check the battery first... just what alloutf4i said it could be the battery or the alternator.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I took the battery as you suggested and had it tested. It does need replaced (which will cost about $140...ugh). The guy said a good quick test to see if it the alternator is functioning is to shine the head lights on a wall and rev it up. If they become brighter when I rev it up and dimmer at idle than it is most likely functioning properly. Is that an adequate way to check w/out shelling out cash for a diagnostic?

I appreciate your help,

--race--

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM

There are far less expensive batteries out there. Check Ebay.

As for the headlight check, yes, that'll work fine.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Well, I did the headlight check and they did not get brighter nor dimmer. I'm guessing the alternator is bad which probably wore down my battery faster.

Is having a new alternator installed an expensive ordeal?

Luck Runs Out...,
Thanks for the heads up on cheaper batteries. I will look into that.

alloutf4i, ryan, LRO, thanks for your time and input.

--race--

Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM

About batteries, check different brands/ stores to compare prices, you cna find them much less than 140.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM

I wouldn't trust the rev method since/if your battery is shot already or completed shorted, but somehow manages to start the bike with a jump or only after an overnight charge.

What you need is a multimeter. A typical 12v battery should ready around 12.4v to 12.8V charged when good no load.

Have the meter connect to the battery leads installed on the bike and rev the bike some since the alternator doesn't do much at idle. Your volts should now read more than what the battery did. Usually somewhere around 14v. Could be more or less depending on rev or battery condition.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 PM

The battery on the F4i is a YTZ10S
Battery Specs: 12 Volt, 8.6 ah, 190 cca, 6" L x 3 7/16" W x 3 11/ 16" H

Just google it. You should be able to find prices around 65-80 bucks. I would stay the fully sealed battery on this bike. Don't get one that you have to put acid in.

Quick Reply: 02 CBR F4i Bad Battery, Maybe? Help