F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01' vs 02 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' vs 02 F4i

It has been a while since i have posted anything. My 02 f4i was stolen last year and luckily after much hassle and 6 months of sitting in impound (long story) it was found and returned to me. However when it returned, it was a Frakenstein version of my old bike. The guy who had it had wrecked his 01 f4i and swapped all of my parts on to his frame, then scratched out my VIN number. As part of the deal I was signed over the title for his frame (all my parts attached).

The bike is severely weather worn and all the parts were put on with "hack" care at best. I have found forced fit parts and loose bolts everywhere. I have decided to rip it all down to engine on frame and that's it. That way I can put her back together and know it was done right. However first off I need some fairly basic answers answered. First off

What are the primary differences in the frames 01 - 02.

Will an 02 subframe fit on an 01?

On the frame know located on the right side near the rear brake lever on the subframe is an on off switch that has two wires xthat lead to nothing. Does anyone know what this is.

Do 01 plastics and 02 Have the same bolt mount pattern

And lastly does anyone have a swing arm removal tool they would be willing to let me borrow/buy for a few months while I put everything back together?

I appreciate all the help!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is absolutely no difference at all between the an 01 and an 02, the only change to the F4i was in 04-06 when it went to the silver frame and banana seat.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
There is absolutely no difference at all between the an 01 and an 02, the only change to the F4i was in 04-06 when it went to the silver frame and banana seat.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Even from the 01-03 and 04-06 models im pretty sure the only difference in terms of all that stuff is the subframe and tail. The side and front fairings are interchangeable on any model f4i so any f4i part you purchase or have not relating to the subframe or tail will work for you....just in case you have to do some parts hunting. Otherwise yeah ^^^^^ anything from 01-03 is identical.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxens
What are the primary differences in the frames 01 - 02.
Nothing.

Will an 02 subframe fit on an 01?
Yes.

On the frame know located on the right side near the rear brake lever on the subframe is an on off switch that has two wires xthat lead to nothing. Does anyone know what this is.

Could be an aftermarket accessory switch or something? Not sure, post a pic if you can.

Do 01 plastics and 02 Have the same bolt mount pattern
Yes.

And lastly does anyone have a swing arm removal tool they would be willing to let me borrow/buy for a few months while I put everything back together?

Borrow a 1 1/4 inch socket from someone you don't like, cut it up with a grinder or dremel. Match the castellations in the swingarm nut on the socket and it will act as your key.

Or just buy one, in the UK at least ebay is full of well made versions made in a shed by guys with beards and brown overalls.