F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 Idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Idle problems

This bike was sitting for 8+ months in a garage. It cranks and runs down the street just fine. Problem is when u let off clutch and coast to a sto sign or redlight, it dies. Even sitting in my driveway if i let it idle, it'll kill itself in a minute or 2. It gradually idles down, almost like its choking itself. Anyways, troubleshooting i have done. Changed plugs and ran some FI cleaner through it (still dies). Took fuel pressure regulator and good battery off my 954 and put on the f4i (still dies). Checked air box for oil, and its clean as a whistle. Took the injector tube off and pulled injectors out. Blew air through the injectors with an air hose (individually). Also blew air through the injector tube and through the injector ports at the cylinders. Keeping the throttle cracked open too blow trash out of the cylinders IF any was there.......So far after all this, it still dies as idle.....Any more ideas....Keep in mind, whatever is wrong, happened because the bike sat up.....=-)

Forgot to mention, yes i have fresh gas in it..=-)

Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 01 Idle problems

Have you tried adjusting your idle speed up a little bit?? Might just take a lil while to get any residual old gas out of there. Did you completely drain the tank and lines, or just fill it up with fresh gas without draining? And how much FI cleaner did you put in? Not the whole bottle, right?

Still sounds like typical characteristics of old gas

Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM

Pulled the tank and pulled the plugs. Turned it over with plugs out, to clean the spark plug holes (in cash of gas build up). So im sure i ran the old gas through the lines, if anything maybe a very small amount was left in the lines. I cleaned the tank very good and even blow dried it. Let it sit outside for a day to make sure it was dry.....Basically i have pretty much covered veery fuel.air thing i can think of. Possibly vaume leak (maybe), if that will make it run right on the throttle but die on the idle. Idle adjustment i've tried turning, it works because i've watched it work at the throttle bodies, BUT that didnt change anything (i know thats odd).....FI cleaner, i used about 1/4 a can maybe a little over, since the can calls for 14 gallons of fuel.....I'm running out of ideas, and i know its staring me in the face....=-)

Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Ironmang

Hmmmm.... that's weird. Is there any FI light on at any time?? A vacuum leak is definitely a possibility, or maybe the thermowax valve is stuck. Does it high idle properly when it's started cold? (~1500-2000 RPM)

Did you unplug any sensors or anything when you had the tank off? IAT or MAP sensors? Vacuum hose on the MAP sensor connected?

And just to make sure... it's got a fully charged battery, right?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Hmmmm.... that's weird. Is there any FI light on at any time?? A vacuum leak is definitely a possibility, or maybe the thermowax valve is stuck. Does it high idle properly when it's started cold? (~1500-2000 RPM)

Did you unplug any sensors or anything when you had the tank off? IAT or MAP sensors? Vacuum hose on the MAP sensor connected?

And just to make sure... it's got a fully charged battery, right?
Thermowax valve i have NOT looked into (thats a new one to me). Can u point me in the right direction to it.....I did unplug the plug on top of air box and also unplugged the MAP senor, but both are now plugged up. I initially forgot the vacume hose on the MAP sensor which gave me an FI light of 22. That problem was fixed shortly after i seen the 22 pronlem. Now i have NO FI codes, bike does idle high at first as if its cold. Then it idles down and gradually dies....Vacume leak could be a problem, as im sure some hoses could be dry rotted and sucking air (but how do i track that down)?....Battery fully charged, Yes, i took the battery out of my functional 954, just to make sure....=-)

Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Ironmang

The thermowax valve is located on the throttle bodies, right between the 1st and 2nd throttle bodys from the left side. It has 2 small coolant hoses going into it. I'm not really sure how to go about testing it though.

I would keep looking for a vacuum leak somewhere. If it fast idles correctly then it sounds like the thermowax valve is operating correctly. But I dunno it might have some sort of air bypass that could be plugged or something.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation on tracking down vacume leaks. I knows there is tons of vacume lines on the bike, so looking individually could take forever. plus the bike doesnt idle on its own, so it would make the leak a little harder to find....Thanks guys for the input, atleast its starting to narrow down....=-)

Old 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM

My own crudemethod for checking vacuum lines is once the engine is at normal running temperature (some lines are fast idle/auto choke)and whilst ticking over you pinch each line in turn if there isa noticeable difference in the running thenmove on to the next one if you find one were there'slittle or no difference then further investigation on that line is needed, do you have a power commander fitted? disconnection of the battery would reset this to factory settings hope this helps[/align]

Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Ironmang

Another good way of finding vacuum leaks, is take a can of brake kleen and lightly spray it all around any vacuum hoses, base of throttle bodies, or anywhere else you could have a potential vacuum leak. Only problem is it's gotta be idling to do it, so unless you can keep it running somehow this may not work. But if you can get it to run at a consistant RPM, spray around with the brake kleen and if there's a leak, you'll hear an increase in RPM's

Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Earlier i did the "water" test on the exhaust pipes. Seems #2 is running cooler then the rest. Takes awhile for the water to evaporate off of #2. All the others, the water evaporates almost immdiately......I'm thinking the #2 injector could be posing a problem. Thats about the only thing i havent been able to test just yet. I know #2 cylinder was filled with gas before and the plugs were fouled. I guess an injector stoppage could cause all of that to happen.....I have some more throttle bodies that should be here next week. So imma put them on and see if theres any changes.......=-)

Quick Reply: 01 Idle problems