F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 f4i wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 01 f4i wheelie

well the way I do it is, if im going in first, I will throttle it sitting down and do 10:30-11:30. in second, you put your left foot on the rear peg, and clutch it around 6k. its just scary to do the stand up in second, start throttleing it in first.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 AM

Well the main thing you have to do is PRACTICE everything that everyone has said dont mean dick unless you put in the work.

Personally ide say clutch it...I can clutch up 2nd gear sit downs no problem. I guess its personal preferance tho.

I dont think BP on an F4i is quite as high as 11, you might wanna rock the front end that high, but 11 o'clock is where bikes like R1s and 600RRs balance at. If u can have a buddy video some wheelies do it and watch the footage real good learning tool, when u think your at 11 your more than likely at like 9:45, a lot of ppls perception of height gets all screwed up when they start off i know mine was.

Im not saying its hard at all to bust your forks, but i dont think its as easy as you think it is...my front end is set pretty damn soft, and that has come down hard plenty of times, but im probally also lucky.

wheelies putting some major hurt on the front tire? I havent had any problems with it...but stoppie practice kills them front race take-offs fo sho!

As for shifting through a wheelie...never tried it and dont plan on doing it. I heard it can mess some stuff up and Im not gonna risk it. And its really pointless unless your going to compete in a good ol' fastest wheelie race...reminds me of the OG days when everyone rolled gangsta on the expressway *sigh* and there wasnt anyone that rocked all lots.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AzNBoI_585SF

Well the main thing you have to do is PRACTICE everything that everyone has said dont mean dick unless you put in the work.

AGREE HERE COMPLETELY! I've been ridin for years now. Started my baby steps in stuntin' 2 years ago. I could clutch my katana 600 up quite nicely. But I started just popping babies. It took me all summer to go from nothing to actually popping 'em a consistant foot or two. Then some idiot in his dad's brand new Hundai totaled my bike while I was at a red light (rear ended me.) Anyway, I upgraded to my F4i last year. I did zero wheelies. Just got used to the bike. After a couple of months, I practiced just popping the wheel up, with little or no height, just to get the feel for it in the air and leaving the ground. After I had that down, I added height to the equation. By the end of last year, I can throttle up in first all day to some outstanding heights and ride them just a bit if lucky. This Spring, my focus will be to master that balance point and incorporate 2nd gear.

My long a drawn out point is... I've done some crazy stuff, but I have never put the slightest of a scratch on my bike from all the wheelies, or from anything for that matter. And almost every week is hear... "Yeah, that kid I just sold my bike to, he tried to wheelie it his first week of riding and dropped it and screwed a bunch of crap up!"

I may not be progressing as quick as some of the others here and on my streets, but it never hurts to take it slow. Wheelieing past a hot chick is cool, but doing it without a f***ed up bike is much cooler!

Old 01-26-2006, 07:18 AM

Ummm..

What is meant by rolling the throttle

Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Basically means..letting off for a second and quickly accelerating after...in first gear it brings the front up.

ORIGINAL: F4i_nsane

Ummm..

What is meant by rolling the throttle

Old 02-08-2006, 01:48 AM

personally, i would not try dumpin the clutch at all, especially if your just starting, try popping it up around thirty, but just experiment with it and dont get carried away, i just got my 05 f4i around 7 months ago, and i can ride through first and second up to about 85-90 mph, just make sure your comfortable on your bike.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:12 AM

As for your "switching gears" Dont bother. get a -1 on front and +2 on the rear, you can ride 2nd gear highway wheelies as long as you want if you get good at it. Believe me, I do it. But the only reason why I say that is because its story time

When I was 18 i had a 1997 F3 and i was getting into staggered wheelies in first gear which is pretty much putting your left foot on the rear peg and throttling the bike into a wheelie. After a while i got really good at this, keeping the bike up was simple and I wanted to learn how to shift in a wheelie. Well I switched my feet arround to keep the weight balance the same and throttled it up like usual, Then I shifter into second as soon as I hit the balance point, It was going good but 2nd didnt have the power to keep it at the balance point because I let the nose drop a little when I shifted. Then I did the same thing again but when I shifter I kept my hand on the throttle a little to long and ended up throttling over. To make a long wreck short, I was doing about 70MPH when i hit the ground and the bike landed on my right foot, luckily I had steel toe boots on and I ended up sliding down the pavement with no gear on whatsoever.

Now I throttle up in second on my F4i in a staggered wheelie on highways and I Always where my gear when I ride.

Believe me, I know from experience that investing in gear will save your hide. Gear costs much less then the hospitall bill would cost or the costs that your family will pay for your funeral.

Daniel Thompson

Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Im in the same boat as the thread maker. I got first gear wheelies down and either wanted to shift into second or pull it up in second and ride them. I have mine geared -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. I always hear people saying they can power them up in second but i dont see how. I was on the freeway yesterday trying it (late at night no traffic) and i was sitting at about 9 or 10k and sitting all the way back on the seat with my arms locked straight. I tried chopping the throttle and nothing it may come up like a inch but nothing i could ride. Is there something im doing wrong? I want to try clutching it up now so i might start practicing that but i just feel safer being able to power it up

Old 02-23-2006, 03:38 AM

Heres what you do Turboedsupe. You put it in second, listen to the engine then you pull your **** off the seat, stick your left foot on the passenger peg and put both of your knees on the back of the tank. Then you open the throttle for a split second and then close it to preload the shocks and then open it a good distance. Might want to lean back a little to get it coming up but when you feel the weight get lighter you need to stop leaning back and stand staight up. MAKE SURE you have good throttle control or dont even try this at all. It is much easier to flip the bike over with more weight on the back and I dont recomend trying this on the back peg until you are good at stand up wheelies.

Daniel Thompson

P.S. I am not telling you to do this, just giving you some hints.
(there i covered my ***[:-])

Old 02-23-2006, 02:37 PM

Yeah i guess i need to stand up. I have been trying to power them up in 2nd while sitting down. I might give the stand up a try today, i know i can do it if it will power up but i just dont want to have to jump on the front end to bring it up. ill let you know what happens later tonight

Quick Reply: 01 f4i wheelie