F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i rear seat problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4i rear seat problem...

First off, I am a noob to the forum. I just picked up an 01 F4i this past week.

Now I am going through the bike w/ a find tooth comb. I've ran into 2 problems so far. One problem that dealt w/ the spark plugs, I posted in the GENERAL TECH thread. My other is the rear seat.

It seems that my rear seat is not able to come up anymore. I took off the front seat to look up under the rear. The wire that the key activates, is out of the holder that unlocks the seat. So when I went to go move the mechanism by hand, it feels broke. I can not get the seat to unlatch at all. I am curious if there is a way to remove the FACTORY undertail to access all the stuff under the rear seat. Otherwise, is there any other way to get the rear seat off to try and fix it?

Well thanks in advance!

Jake

Old 09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Default RE: 01 F4i rear seat problem...

well it is way esier to get the undertail off with the rear seat removed but in your case i can see how that would cause a problem. tell you the truth the undertail is attached to the fender, which is atached under the rear seat. The best way to probably get the seat off without having to break anything would be taking the front seat completely off and trying to squeeze ur hand or something under to get to the lock cable, once you grab the cable you should be able to tug on it and it will release. I installed an fender eliminator kit which caused me to move the lock, well what i did to make sure the lock cable wouldnt come out of the holder was i grabbed a zip tie and kinda secured it to the bracket. Good luck trying to fix it.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: brancart1

well it is way esier to get the undertail off with the rear seat removed but in your case i can see how that would cause a problem. tell you the truth the undertail is attached to the fender, which is atached under the rear seat. The best way to probably get the seat off without having to break anything would be taking the front seat completely off and trying to squeeze ur hand or something under to get to the lock cable, once you grab the cable you should be able to tug on it and it will release. I installed an fender eliminator kit which caused me to move the lock, well what i did to make sure the lock cable wouldnt come out of the holder was i grabbed a zip tie and kinda secured it to the bracket. Good luck trying to fix it.
I did try that. When I look up in there, the wire is disconnected from the release mechanism. I could re-attach it, but it seems like that mechanism is broke. I would try and break something to get it open, then replace it, but I dont know what to break. Anyone know?

Old 09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if you break anything, i'd say do it to the back end of the undertray - there are a lot of aftermarket options for replacing that part of the bike.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Nevermind guys. I figured out a way to get it open...without even having to break it.