F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 f4i lighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 f4i lighting

Is it possible to buy a new light plug in and wire a second conector in on the dim side so both bulbs are on all the time on dim? I dont really need the brights anyway. Then people can quit telling me that I have a headlight out. I see that both bulbs are 12v 55w. Are they held at different angles? Or is the bright one just magnified electronicly?
Thanks, Mark

Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just the reflector housing that differs between the two.

I got used to people asking "If I had one light out", long ago lol, that and I've never really cared what other people thought or said.
But thats just me.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
July 2008 ROTM

You have to rewire the headlight harness to bypass the high beam switch. Or leave the high beam switch on at all times and re-aim it so that it is pointing down.

I'd recommend leaving it OEM. Who cares if people tell you you have a headlight out. Riding safely whenever you can is more important. But it can be done if you really want to. And I'm sure there's some more detailed threads about it somewhere on here.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
You have to rewire the headlight harness to bypass the high beam switch. Or leave the high beam switch on at all times and re-aim it so that it is pointing down.

I'd recommend leaving it OEM. Who cares if people tell you you have a headlight out. Riding safely whenever you can is more important. But it can be done if you really want to. And I'm sure there's some more detailed threads about it somewhere on here.
As far as safty goes, I think two dim lights are better than one. As far as night driving too many guys hitting deer at night, Im in northern michigan. I had a buddy rupture his spleen last fall hitting one at 40mph. Not to mention bears,fox, coyote, grey wolves, cougars or domestic animals. I think I will be putting her away at lights out. Also I was putting the piaa bulbs in it for day driving, the plasma 110/130. two of those should get some attention.
Thanks, Mark

Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdogbr549
As far as safty goes, I think two dim lights are better than one. As far as night driving too many guys hitting deer at night, Im in northern michigan. I had a buddy rupture his spleen last fall hitting one at 40mph. Not to mention bears,fox, coyote, grey wolves, cougars or domestic animals. I think I will be putting her away at lights out. Also I was putting the piaa bulbs in it for day driving, the plasma 110/130. two of those should get some attention.
Thanks, Mark
I dont understand how, these headlights are right next to each other so how will having the both of them on be more safer? So many people say that and I dont understand how. Only thing I see you doing, is wiring the both of them up and blinding the person coming at you because the high beams pointed in the air. And if you happen to aim it down, well then you wont have distance and you wont see that deer standing 1/8 mile ahead of you.. Get you some bright bulbs and leave it be.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
I dont understand how, these headlights are right next to each other so how will having the both of them on be more safer? So many people say that and I dont understand how. Only thing I see you doing, is wiring the both of them up and blinding the person coming at you because the high beams pointed in the air. And if you happen to aim it down, well then you wont have distance and you wont see that deer standing 1/8 mile ahead of you.. Get you some bright bulbs and leave it be.
They will be easier to be seen in the daytime. I would have them on both dim. I will not ride at night so I dont need bright lights was what I was saying. I will put the brighter bulbs in it for my daytime driving though.
Mark

Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by hunterdogbr549
They will be easier to be seen in the daytime. I would have them on both dim. I will not ride at night so I dont need bright lights was what I was saying. I will put the brighter bulbs in it for my daytime driving though.
Mark
If thats the case where you never ride at night.. These bulbs are single filament so there's no bright and dim, ones pointed up, and the other down. So just adjust the bright side down and leave your switch turned on for brights. Or just kick the switch and dont mess with the angle, I see people running brights all the time.. really doesn't bother other people in the day.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Id say go with what xjoewhitex said or put HID in your low beam. A 6000k colour will provide you with great visibility and would be probably at least twice as noticable as having 2 dim lights. (Ever be driving during the day on a divided highway with tons of cars coming towards you. That one car way back there with the HID sticks out like a sore thumb. Same concept. Nighttime just amplifies that effect)) It would also give you still a usable high beam for if for some unforseen reason you get stuck driving after the dark.

Currently I ride around with my highbeams on during the day but will be receiving another HID kit for the bike soon and will be driving with just low HID on. Im going to put HID in my high beam as well as I do a lot of night time riding and you can never have enough light.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jondevos
Id say go with what xjoewhitex said or put HID in your low beam. A 6000k colour will provide you with great visibility and would be probably at least twice as noticable as having 2 dim lights. (Ever be driving during the day on a divided highway with tons of cars coming towards you. That one car way back there with the HID sticks out like a sore thumb. Same concept. Nighttime just amplifies that effect)) It would also give you still a usable high beam for if for some unforseen reason you get stuck driving after the dark.

Currently I ride around with my highbeams on during the day but will be receiving another HID kit for the bike soon and will be driving with just low HID on. Im going to put HID in my high beam as well as I do a lot of night time riding and you can never have enough light.
Ive decided to wire them together and move them both up evenly between dim and bright location and put the 130 watt piaa bulbs in.
I just cant stomach seeing these bikes w/ one headlight. Just my opinion, I think it looks like somthing is wrong. As I said I dont need my brights at all. nor would I want to run w/ my brights on and adjust the bright one down and have to stare at the blue light all the time.
Thanks for the imfo. though.
Mark

Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I don't think that's a very good idea, but it's your bike, so do what you please!

Quick Reply: 01 f4i lighting