F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

[01-03]Targa Seat Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [01-03]Targa Seat Cowl

Looking for close up pics and REAL LIFE experiences on the targa seat cowl for a 2001-2003 F4I. I know there are other options that are cheaper, but if it doesn't come in the factory red paint, I am not interested. I already played the "match the factory red" color game, and it SUCKS!

I got a few concerns with the targa cowl:

1 - Can I use the cowl and still strap my helmet to the frame?

2 - Does it rattles when is installed?

3 - Longebility

Please share your experience

Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 AM

longebility....?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM

lol, from what I understand the Targa cowl uses rubber grommets, and brackets that holds it in place, and it just pushes down into the grommet just like how older motorcycle side cover snap in if you know what I mean. I personally wouldn't trust my helmet being strapped under it while riding. Have you looked at the seat cowls on ebay for the F4i ? They say they use the factory seat hardware to latch shut, and still uses the lock/key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few pics for ya.....
1 - You can still use your helmet holder with seat cowl.

2 - Seat cowl does not rattle when installed (recommend installing foam onto parts of tailsection where seat cowl makes contact)

3 - Longebility? Do U mean longevity?
If so, I've had mine on for 6+yrs,done numerous trackdays with it on and havent had a single issue.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by boogieboogz
longebility....?
ESL (english as a second language) OWNS me. The funny thing is that I actually searched for that word on yahoo, and I got numerous hits on it, so I went ahead and used it.

Originally Posted by Indiana
lol, from what I understand the Targa cowl uses rubber grommets, and brackets that holds it in place, and it just pushes down into the grommet just like how older motorcycle side cover snap in if you know what I mean. I personally wouldn't trust my helmet being strapped under it while riding. Have you looked at the seat cowls on ebay for the F4i ? They say they use the factory seat hardware to latch shut, and still uses the lock/key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories
I've seen those before, and I like them; however the color is what keeps me away from it.

Originally Posted by hondajunkie
Here are a few pics for ya.....
1 - You can still use your helmet holder with seat cowl.

2 - Seat cowl does not rattle when installed (recommend installing foam onto parts of tailsection where seat cowl makes contact)

3 - Longebility? Do U mean longevity?
If so, I've had mine on for 6+yrs,done numerous trackdays with it on and havent had a single issue.

AWESOME, that's exactly the info that I am looking for!!!

Yes, I meant longevity (thanks for picking up on it), and if it can stand trackdays, then it should be more that ok on the streets.

If I get it, I might hit you up regarding the foam thing. I don't like to reinvent the wheel when somebody has already done it

Thanks for your info!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 PM

just ordered it the other day should be here friday, I CANT WAIT THEY MAKE THE BIKES SO SEXY. Cleans them up real nice

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM

what i want to do is borrow someones from here, make a negative mold of them, and then sell em on here for pretty much at cost for me to make them! ...plus i get to make one for myself out of the deal too...ha

Old 07-13-2010, 09:46 PM

the targa one uses the seat hardware to fit(??) i think, so ppl would probably have to use their seats and use it as a cap. good idea tho. of course the more creative would find another way to mount cleanly and flush.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:53 AM

heres my baby w/ the cowl on. got it on last night at like 1 am after literally working 17hrs....I have no patience =D

Name:  Image009.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  Image007.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  71.0 KB

I installed in literally 20 mins in mid of night... super easy

Last edited by RMH3; 07-17-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice post knonfs.

The Targa, once fitted/adjusted, is secure on the bike...no rattling whatsoever...rock solid.

It comes w/ its own hardware that allows the rear to snap into the seat lock like your orig seat. You'll use your key to unlock the Targa to remove just like you would your seat.

The front mounts are nothing like your orig seat. As Indiana mentioned, the Targa hardware has rubber grommets mounted in metal brackets, which mount to your subframe seat bar. The cowl itself has metal spikes that mount/insert into those grommets/brackets on the subframe. You insert these first, then snap the rear down to secure on the lock.

I leave the subframe mounted brackets on my bike & rotate them down so that I can switch off from cowl to regular seat. When I want to use the cowl, I just rotate the brackets back up (tighten of course) & secure the cowl. No problem.

Here's pics of the Targa cowl as it came. It's the unpainted option.
You can see the hardware on the underside. You'll see in my pic of the bike how the Targa mounting brackets are sercured. The way they are in the pic, they are rotated down so I can use my regular seat. To use the cowl, I just rotate them up, secure, & the cowl justs pops on.

Name:  P1030529.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  45.9 KB
Name:  P1030531.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  P1030534.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  65.7 KB
Name:  P1030535.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  127.0 KB