F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Yet another rear spring preload thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another rear spring preload thread

I searched, but couldn't find the specific answer to my question.

The guy I bought my F2 from was about 5'5" and said his feet barely reached the ground so he set everything as low as possible. Since the bike is stock I assumed this to mean he set all suspension to as soft as possible in order to increase sag. Indeed the rebound dampening was set to max on soft. That was easy enough to fix.

I have read the owners manual and examined the rear spring preload. I'm guessing he set it to 1, but I'll be damned if I can figure out which way to turn it. I see numbers, but no mark indicating the current setting. It won't budge and I don't want to force it the wrong way.

I'm assuming that the spring follows the general righty-tighty/lefty-loosey rule. So to harden the spring I need to turn clockwise, which would be pushing the spanner down, and to soften I need to turn counter-clockwise, which would be pulling the spanner up.

If it is set to 1 it should not turn any further counter-clockwise. Is this correct?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 PM

None of you guys ever adjusted the rear preload?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM

first off do you have the tool for it? you will never turn it without one or something like it.

second, I can't remember which way to turn it... just sold my f2 today so I can't check for you. it takes a bit of muscle to do it though. I am pretty sure the pointer looking part is stationary while the stepped part spins... so that should give you a good idea which way it needs to be turned. Don't quote me on that though. When you get the wrench on it and start tugging on it, you will start to see which part moves and which doesn't.

Last edited by Dissevered; 03-14-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
first off do you have the tool for it? you will never turn it without one or something like it.

second, I can't remember which way to turn it... just sold my f2 today so I can't check for you. it takes a bit of muscle to do it though. I am pretty sure the pointer looking part is stationary while the stepped part spins... so that should give you a good idea which way it needs to be turned. Don't quote me on that though. When you get the wrench on it and start tugging on it, you will start to see which part moves and which doesn't.
Yes, I have the pin spanner and have identified which part moves. You'd think the manual would be a little more specific about which way to turn it. If I could establish the current setting the question would be moot.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 AM

From the back of the bike (rear of the spring), rotate the ring clockwise to decrease preload. You will see a notch behind the ring where the steps rest as you adjust. The number on the ring (1 to 7) that is aligned with this notch is the preload setting.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by damuho
From the back of the bike (rear of the spring), rotate the ring clockwise to decrease preload. You will see a notch behind the ring where the steps rest as you adjust. The number on the ring (1 to 7) that is aligned with this notch is the preload setting.
Great, thanks. Hopefully this will help alleviate my confusion.

ETA: Adjusted quite easily once I took the time to figure out what I was doing. Major improvement in turns. This forum rocks.

Last edited by Timr; 03-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.