F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start

I have no clue about how to fix bikes. It really sounds like it will start but wont. It will crank up but just wont start. Please help.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Engines need three things to run: air, fuel, spark. If you're missing one or more, it won't work. If you're incapable of checking for these things, you might want to take the bike to a shop before you break things.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM

There has to be more to the story than what you wrote... so fess up!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Try checking the spark plug wires making sure they are in the correct order so the engine is firing in sequence. Also you might wanna check to make sure your petcock is "on." Maybe you have aftermarket fairings, which chances are it won't say which position is on/off/reserve. Since it is carbed you need to prime it a couple times to shoot some gas down into the carbs. Idk the condition of the bike or how well it's been maintained, but when your not planning on riding the bike for more than 2-3 weeks you have to put some kinda gas saver in your tank so your gas doesn't get old which can destroy and gum up your carbs. This will make the bike unusable!!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Also make sure you have the choke on as well!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ryans93honda
Try checking the spark plug wires making sure they are in the correct order so the engine is firing in sequence. Also you might wanna check to make sure your petcock is "on." Maybe you have aftermarket fairings, which chances are it won't say which position is on/off/reserve. Since it is carbed you need to prime it a couple times to shoot some gas down into the carbs. Idk the condition of the bike or how well it's been maintained, but when your not planning on riding the bike for more than 2-3 weeks you have to put some kinda gas saver in your tank so your gas doesn't get old which can destroy and gum up your carbs. This will make the bike unusable!!
I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're off base a bit with your advice. Let me help you understand why so I'm at least helping some one here

First off, there's a distinct and noticeable amount of backfiring and awkward firing that shows up when the firing order is off. Dude didn't say he had any firing at all, nor backfiring, so there is no symptom to direct you to this conclusion. Plus, you're telling him to check that before you even know if he has spark at all, so we've now got the cart before the horse. Also, it ran before and stopped running suddenly, and since spark plug wires don't magically rearrange themselves, you can't point some one to this stuff without knowing that a person went in there and changed things up in the form of say... changing spark plugs, engine remove, valve check, etc etc.

Second... you've obviously not been inside of carbs beyond possibly a basic cleaning. There is no prime setting on the F2 gas tanks. The petcock settings are just on, reserve, and off. The vaccum operated carb won't let you squirt **** past it unless there is vaccum (or an issue). Even then, there's a float and valve/seat in there that won't let you squirt **** past it either once the float bowls are full. So, priming these bikes is mechanically impossible!

Now on a pumper carb or a bike with a specific petcock design... yes you can prime the thing! This however is a CV carb. It relies on vacuum from the engine to get the gas moving, and nothing short of vaccum is going to move gas through that thing.

As for fuel stabilizer, now you've got some good advice. Some may argue 2-3 weeks is a bit aggressive to go adding in fuel stabilizer, but better safe than sorry.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Hey, thanks for the advice Jesse! I guess I didn't know these things as well as I thought! lol. I haven't worked on these carbs at all, but I assumed they operate much like a carbed vehicle.

So on a stock F2 you cannot flood the carbs? When you are ready to start the bike you can twist the throttle all you want and it won't dump gas into the carbs at all?

As for fuel stabilizer, after I got my carbs professionally rebuilt I asked the tech how to prevent the carbs from going bad and that's what he told me (as well as draining the carb bowls). I suppose it would be a bit aggressive, but I hope to never spend that much cash on a preventative problem again!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man a short audio/video clip would reallllly help us help the OP in these situations.

Titus - "it will crank up, but won't start." that sentence makes no sense. Either it runs or it doesn't. We are assuming it will crank OVER but won't start.

As Jessee mentioned - sounds like something else has happened - was the bike running and somethig happened, (dropped it, loaned it to a buddy, filled the tank with diesel?) or you worked on something, and now afterward it won't start?

We gotta have some more details, or basically you only gave us "My bike's broke, someone tell me what to fix." as your posting.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Well I accidentally put gas and oil mixture in the and also I took all the plastic off and put a new rectifier connection on there. And it sounds like it will crank but wont. I put a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_z1xNcrEH88

Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by titus sublett
I have no clue about how to fix bikes.

Hate to be the one who says it, but if this is your first line on asking for help you really need to take the bike to a shop and pony up some money to get it repaired. No amount of advice can help if you have no clue on what you are doing, you will cause more harm then good and in the end lose even more money to have it fixed or replaced.

Quick Reply: Wont start