F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 12:48 AM
|
Default Won't start!

I have a 94 600 F2 and it wont start. I had a problem similar to this before. When I went to start it it would make this clicking sound so I took it to the shop and they fixed it and it ran good for about a month. then I was riding around town and it just died. about a week before this i was getting gas and it wouldnt start back. the lights were dim so i figured the battery. got a new one. when i took it apart the battery was drained of acid. ive been told that it could be the stator and ive also been told it could be a short to ground. i havent looked at it since last fall but its starting to be riding weather so im wanting it fixed and if i could do it myself even better! any ideas of what it could be?!

Old 04-01-2010 | 08:09 AM

Have you tried jump starting it off a car battery? Just make sure the car isn't running. Test your battery and make sure it's good. Once you get the bike running, check the voltage to make sure it's getting charged. If it isn't, I'd start looking at the R/R, stator, etc.

Old 04-02-2010 | 02:08 PM
|

i did jump it...like 5 times. every time i would jump it it would idle but once i tried to take off it would die. and like i said once i got it home and tore apart a little the battery was drained of acid so it was no good.

Old 04-03-2010 | 09:31 AM

Your kickstand is up right? Your bike will idle but wont take off unless the kickstand is up.

Old 04-03-2010 | 10:16 AM

Its your r/r man get an after market one with fins and a new battery and you should be set it happened to me to

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:36 AM
|

ok i dont know a lot about bikes but i do know it wont take off with the kickstand down, im not an idiot. but i dont really know what the r/r is? this is my first bike and id like to be able to fix it myself cuz for one itd be cheaper and in case i have problems later with this one or another id like to be able to have an idea about it

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:02 AM

Its in the f2 tech section at the top ofthe f2 section. The r/r is your regulator/rectifior.it regulates the voltage coming out of the altenator. The rectifior part changes it frm ac current to dc current so it can charge your battery correctly. If this fails it boils you battery dry and well you cant charge it because theres no acid. So read that section get you a r/r off of a 05 gsxr or and aftermarket one for your f2 and then get you a battery and you should be good to go

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:37 PM

I agree with it probably being the R/R but it is still possible he has a bad stator (and obviously a bad battery as a result). There is a step by step guide on how to check the charging system (check stator, then check r/r at idle and running, etc.) it is either in the tech section or you can search for it easily.

Test the system before you start spending money on replacement parts! all you need is a $20 multimeter from any auto parts store.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by zachro50
i did jump it...like 5 times. every time i would jump it it would idle but once i tried to take off it would die. and like i said once i got it home and tore apart a little the battery was drained of acid so it was no good.
So, did you replace the battery?

If you have a **** battery, your bike won't run well, if at all.

Old 04-08-2010 | 01:13 AM
|

ok so if i was to check the charging system, i would have to have a new battery in to do that right? and the meter of course. id like to be able to know for sure what was wrong before i start tearing it apart too much. i dont have my manual with me but the next chance i get to look at it i will and see if there is a step by step in it.

Quick Reply: Won't start!