F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Time for a new battery.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new battery.

Well my battery is officially not holding a charge after only 9 months. I never let the battery completely go dead and have had it on a battery tender junior for the past couple of weeks. I have checked the charging system and it is operating normally. My previous battery was a Duration AGM Powersport Battery. I want something that is going to last for more 9 months. I am considering ordering an OEM battery from my local Honda dealer. Does anyone know who makes this battery? Does anyone have any suggestions for better batteries? I would like to stay below $70 but, if a quality part isn't much more I would be willing to spend the money The part number for the battery from Honda is 31500-HN1-003.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Default Battery

I don't think you need to go out and buy an expensive battery straight from the dealer. I bought a battery at Wal Mart for around $50 and it's great. It has lasted me with no problems for over a year. Did you leave the battery unattended for a while? Or did you let it drain out all the way? Batteries do get bad when you don't keep them charged. I forget the brand, but I'm sure it's on the website.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My last battery Bikemaster lasted 4 1/2 years...because I let it drained a few times with doing some mods and forgot to shut off lights.

I just brought a battery AGM from an eBay seller name ChromeBattery...look him up and check out his rep. I got mine for $26 shipped with 18month warranty. My bike is a older model. If yours is newer model than maybe around $30-$35 shipped. I receive battery within 3 days.

Basically these are generic brand, private label....name brand just stick their labels on and then resell them.

Is cheaper? Unreliable? Depends what you believe....in my case because I'm kind of tight on $$$, at the least the $26 spent will get me 18months warranty...if it goes bad, he'll replace it for free.

First you have to decide what type of battery you want, AGM or GEL....

AGM is best not to drain battery less than 65% or it will go bad fast.

GEL- you may need a special charger for this type of battery for it's full potential.

If you stop by O'Reilly, try sell acid type battery for $60 or so then TAX.

It's been months now since I replace my battery with ChromeBattery...so far so good! Starts right up....it's really self preference because some may want to dump $180 on a battery...

Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM

I had been riding the bike around 100 miles a week since I got the battery. The bike had been kept in a heated and cooled garage the entire time; when not washing or riding the bike. I had never had any issues with it not starting. I talked to my dad today and he said he had put a 10 amp charger on the battery for about 15 min at some point. I think he may have overcharged the battery. I took the old battery to Advance Auto where my buddy works, he tested it and it was not good. I purchased a MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM battery from Advance Auto. I used some promo codes to get the price down to $51. The new battery come with a year warranty. Just for information the cost of the battery from my Honda dealer was $64.69 plus tax.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 amps is mighty high for charging these batteries, maybe that is what did it - or maybe you just had a dud - as long as you keep your new battery fresh with being charged while riding, and have it on a battery tender if you're gonna let it sit for a month or more, you'll be fine.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Be sure to check your charging system output. Fried r/rs and connectors are common and can kill a battery as well.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:26 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll ask here.
Is 13.5-13.7 too high a reading or overcharged on a multimeter?

Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by optytrex
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll ask here.
Is 13.5-13.7 too high a reading or overcharged on a multimeter?
Don't be afraid to start thread. They are always free and turn into good reading.

Is that standing voltage or running voltage?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Don't be afraid to start thread. They are always free and turn into good reading.

Is that standing voltage or running voltage?
standing voltage
The bike won't start and it dims the lights when I attempt to power on (which is why I suspected the battery)
I cleaned out the starter and it works alright (there was a lot of junk in there) now but the engine won't start up still. I got it to work once when I charged the battery yesterday. It sounded good so I powered it down and immediately tried again. Once I tried to turn it on again it stalled after being on for a bit. I tried again and it wouldn't power on any more. I charged the battery and tried again but it still won't start. The starter sounds but the engine won't turn over.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:58 PM

What's the voltage at while its cranking, or trying to crank?

Quick Reply: Time for a new battery.