F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

stuck ring creating smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try Service Honda - Honda Motorcycle Parts and there are some more. There it is 37. But you have to pay attention to shipping when you find it cheaper.
Im not too sure about the breather part. Obviously you would want to make sure the tubes are clear, just not sure it would cause your issue without a noticeable drivability issue developing.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one last question, hopefully until i get into the gasket.

I brought the cylinder in question all the way to the top, spilling out the drain hole as much MMO I could see, then with a tube I sucked out what i could. I want to put oil back in and burn off all the MMO but am worried about hydolock. if there is a small amoutn left in the cylinder is this a risk? I know that If I attempt to turn it over while a good amount is in there it may be but do I need to worry about a small amount?

gasket takes two weeks to get

Thx

Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Welcome Crew

Good question. If you have most of it out, I think you would be ok. You may want to put a shop rag or something across the valve cover and let the starter bump the engine a couple revolutions first just to make sure, then reinstall your plug. A lil messy, but it may ease your mind a bit knowing you did all you could before hand.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM

thank you again

ARGGG,, my Clymer's is nowhere to be found, happen to know how much oil if not changing the filter?

surprisingly the question is not answered on every thread I find and i know it;s in that damn book that is probably right on front of me. sorry for these stupid questions

FYI, I am assuming the MMO did it;s job if it did not flow past the rings and out the drain plug.....crossing my fingers a little bit

Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM

3.4 Qt. at least found theOM

Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome Crew

no worries about the questions, have to find the answers somehow and we are more then happy to help..... or play devils advocate lol.Glad ya found it, I was driving home so didnt have mine handy.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Ok, so i finally got my cover gasket, that took forever. is there an adhesive to use that will keep it in place while i reassemble? Also, anyone happen to know the torque specs on the nuts to the cover? my book is missing for sure.

Thanks again, hope this works

Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bolts for the camshaft covers, are to be torqued to 9 ft. lb. - the actual cylinder head cover bolts are 7 ft. lb.

Be certain that your torque wrench is appropriately rated for these low specifications, for example, if a torque wrench is rated for accuracy in the 25 to 150 ft. lb. range, or 75 to 250, or something of that sort, you can end up twisting the heads off of smaller bolts, because the torque wrench is not sensitive enough for those lower settings... I wouldn't even use a wrench designed for, let's say, 10 ft. lb. to 50 or 75 ft. lb., I would make sure it's one with a 0 to XX range.
The more pricey wrenches will not even list the numbers on the dial, for ranges it's not designed for, but cheap-o wrenches will show the lower numbers, even though they shouldn't be used for them.

You may know this already, but I'm just trying to offer help that could prevent frustration!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Ok, thank you for that. I finally have all tools and time in place and if it doesn't rain I'll be able to do this today. I also have some wheel bearing grease that I've read will help seal and seat the gasket. Should I use it or just a thin film of oil?

Lets hope I can reach everything

Thx

Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM

borrowed a torque wrench from a friend. Set it for 7 and it did not stop at 7. is there a particular extractor kit that would make this easy?

Quick Reply: stuck ring creating smoke...