F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Stolen Bike !! New Security!! Ignition, Locks, and other measures

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stolen Bike !! New Security!! Ignition, Locks, and other measures

Sadly, My 94 F2 was STOLEN on 8/17 1 Week after buying it.. Happily it was recovered the next morning 8/18.

The ignition was destroyed by the old screwdriver through the keyhole method.
I also had a "master lock" disk brake lock purchased from walmart on it at the time. How they got that advertised as unpickable with a $1000.00 warranty disk brake lock off without damaging the front disk rotor still has me perplexed . I searched for the lock and I guess they kept it for training in bike thief school.

I called all of the dealers in DFW and no one had the new 94 F2 ignition in stock nor was it cheap $107.00 US and they couldn't key it the same as the orginal.

So after calling all of the boneyards and finding one at a TOTAL rip off joint MR MOTORCYCLE in Fort Worth. They wanted just about the same price $99.00 as the dealers for a used lock cylinder ONLY!!!!! Don't use these guys if you like your hard earned money. I was wise and told them to shove it. and spent the 100 bucks on 5 other locks and chains I will post as add ons to this discussion. but the main reason for this post is I went on Ebay and found this COOL ignition lock and just got mine in the mail today . It uses a coke key style lock cylinder and should be totaly resistent to the old screwdriver in the keyhole method.

The lock was ONLY 39.95 way cheaper than a dealer replacement.
You can get yours here and they say these are for F2 and F3 bikes.
Shipping was very quick!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200509916488

I would like to start a discussion on bike security paticularly for apartment dwellers who do not have access to a garage whom have had thier CBRs ripped or have had sucess with thwarting thieves with a paticular lock, chain, alarm or anchor setup. If people know how to get past these systems please post so we can hopefully find ways to creatively combat these methods and keep our bikes from winding up as some punk #@!$!#$ holes training throw away stunt bike with our CBRs.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:20 PM

How interesting... except if you hammer out the entire cylinder with a screw driver your just turn the piece at the bottom. Seen it done unfortunately

I'm thinking of taking an alarm siren, and putting it on a hidden switch that is POST a relay from the ignition. Turn the bike on without knowing where my hidden switch is, and the bike will just make a **** ton of noise the whole time you ride it. Should stick out like a sore ****ing thumb and get the guy pulled over fast or at least make them think twice about the whole operation.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first thing is you have to acknowledge there is no such thing as theft prevention, only deterrence. If I were a bike thief and I wanted your bike badly enough, I'd get it and there's absolutely nothing you could do to stop me. Just annoy me

So you have to make your bike less attractive to a thief than other bikes. First thing is you park it in a conspicuous location as possible. The more time a thief has to spend in the open, the higher the chances he'll get caught trying to steal your bike. Remaining inconspicuous is a priority. When not locked up for the night, my bike is parked dead in front of my apartment door. You literally have to walk around my bike to get in / out of my apartment. Only possible on 1st floor apartments

Next is to elevate your bike's conspicuousness if tampered with. A 'cheap' $100 alarm, like the Spy 5000m makes a chitload of noise if someone begins messing with your bike, as my neighbors and people on the street have learned. A decent one will come with a starter kill / tamper system. Most come with a warning LED that lets people know there's an alarm present. I chose not to install it and let people be surprised, which has happened several times with passerbyes (can't people learn to see with their eyes and not with their hands?!?).

Last is anchoring. Disc locks are deterrents to the lone thief. But 2 guys can easily pick up one of our bikes, disc lock and all, to work on it later. A bike anchored by the frame to something defeats that. You can get an inconspicuous anchor system like this

Most apartment complexes will be amenable to something like this if you offer to install it yourself and put it where it won't interfere with normal parking. There's usually some half parking spot in every lot that cannot fit a car that would be ideal for a motorcycle.

With multiple layers of security protecting your bike, the average bike thief will instantly walk past your bike to someone else's which will be far easier to steal. Unless there is something rare or unique about yours that elevates its value beyond parts / joy ride. Then you're back to the "I want it, I will have it" scenario. Cause seriously, how hard is it for me to stick a gun in your helmet at a stop light?

Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Yeah, alarms that disable the starter are nice.

My technique doesn't prevent the bike from simply being picked up and taken away.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Default barrel type key

i had a disc lock with that type of barrel key about 4 years ago, it got recalled and swapped for normal key lock, as some clever **** found you could operate them very easilly with what i think was a bic pen outer or similar. Most lock makers went away from this type of lock.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apophis
i had a disc lock with that type of barrel key about 4 years ago, it got recalled and swapped for normal key lock, as some clever **** found you could operate them very easilly with what i think was a bic pen outer or similar. Most lock makers went away from this type of lock.

figures - Harley is still using em. I'm tempted to borrow my buddy's v-rod key and go see if I can get a coke out of the breakroom :-)

Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Cool Well the bike is still here

I fully understand that if they want it bad enough they are going to take it.
The thives have been prowling and my neighbor has a beautiful GSXR with tons o chrome and custom fairings and paint. Why they went for my rat bike I don't know, but they have been casing the joint.

We got a tag number and called police with it don't know what happened but the police have been cool and have stepped up patrols big time as the private security company I also rented a private covered parking spot that is kind of far from my front door but I can see the bike from my bedroom it also has a big pole to chain it to.My neighbor with the GSXR can see it perfectly from his apt. on the second floor.
The bic pen thing concerns me but the key has 6 different tumbler grooves so hope fully that will slow them down. most of the time I see coke machines broken into they don't mess with the round key locks.
I also carry a huge pure hardend steel master lock to put through the rear sprocket to keep them from rolling it.
At home I bought the following locks a schlage 5/8" 6' cable lock a pair of 5/8" square link hardened chains with nylon covers and 2 u locks without the normal pickable keys some weird slot key type of locks 2, 3/8" 6' master cable locks and the giant pure steel lock for the sprocket.
I also have ordered an alarm with shock sensors remote disabling and 2 remotes.
http://i35.tinypic.com/10eigi0.jpg
I put the schlage and the chains through the frame and around the pole, lock the sprocket and lock both wheels to the other chains.
I figure that many locks that they won't want to spend the time to defeat them all and with different kinds of locks they may not have the tools to defeat all of the different types. But I am aware they may case the locks ad study the setup for a later time hopefully thats where the alarm steps in.
I still do not understand how they got the disck brake lock off when they stole it? any ideas?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM

If they had been casing your bike they may have dropped your front wheel and merely unbolted and swapped your whole rotor with one they had got previously from a breakers. Wouldnt have taken long to do if they had the right tools to hand....just an idea??

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Default Why my bike its uggggglllyyy?

yea I live in a paranoid state thinking my bike will be in bits on ebay.
if they took the time to put a dif rotor on then I am sure it will become a parts bike rather than a joyride. too much effort for a joyride.
I only paid 800 for it and I am wondering if it is really worth that much at all or worth more in parts. and just buy a 2500.00 better bike or invest in this bike and through a thousand at it to fix it all up.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM

I know a guy who bought one of those cheapo china motorcycle alarms off of ebay... he said it was the best $20 he ever spent. Atleast it will make some noise for a little while

Quick Reply: Stolen Bike !! New Security!! Ignition, Locks, and other measures