F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

snapped off valve cover bolt in casting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snapped off valve cover bolt in casting

Well, I'm stupid. I'm pretty sure this is the case. otherwise I would have read more and figured I didn't need a torque wrench to tighten these bolts.

I took off the valve cover to to replace the gasket because I was trying to cure a smoke problem, ie oil getting past the gasket and into the spark plugs. oil was also draining out the weep holes under each exhaust on the head

so, i tried a reverse drill hoping it would grab and back out the screw. it did not, I then tried and extractor, it did not work either, it just stripped the extractor. I think what I have to do is drop the motor and drill it out and re-thread, which i don;t know how to do, or take the head apart and find a new casting.......

oh, then further prof of my stupidity, i tried to pry the bolt free with a small screwdriver and it broke off in there between the bolt and the hole
does anyone have any ideas? It's too early to start drinking

Attached Thumbnails snapped off valve cover bolt in casting-fed.jpg.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidrun33
...does anyone have any ideas? It's too early to start drinking
It's NEVER too early to start drinking!! Just check out these fools, it's broad daylight!!!

Anyway... ouch! That sucks! The pic doesn't make it totally clear, but yeah, it looks like it might be fubar.
You could try what you mentioned - drilling out the hole, and tapping to the next size up, and then trying to come up with a similar fastener as what's used, which would surely be difficult to impossible.
What I would suggest, is drilling and tapping accordingly, and trying to use a Heli-Coil in the new threads... it might sound harder than it actually is, but it's really not too scary, and this is for a cover, and not for a more critical bolt, like a head bolt, or crank journal bolt, or something.

The key would be selecting the Heli-Coil which would give you the correct internal size/thread pitch, and following the instructions for selecting the correct drill bit and tap size. Of course, the other important factor here is to be absolutely certain your drilling and tapping is perfectly straight, on the same axis as the original hole.

All that said, if you feel this is out of your realm of possibilities, then it might be better left to a professional - maybe get the head to a good machine shop, that could mill out the hole, fill it with aluminum weld, and then drill and tap it correctly, so it would be like new... would probably cost more than finding a used head though, or maybe even a complete used engine!

Sorry you're having the problem, I hope you can work it out!

Last edited by JNSRacing; 10-18-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I broke 2 of them off in my 1000F. I managed to back them out, though. I knotched the remaining stud with a dremel and used a flat screwdriver.

I had a piece of gorilla tape over my valve cover on one of them for a few thousand miles before I 'fixed' it, though. lol...

Wish I could be more help. That looks like it's way down in there?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm that's chewed up real good

think there's only one way out - drill it - carefully-
oily rag around it to catch the metal then use an
appropriately sized helicoil insert

Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the input. I suppose a helicoil would be the best route but perhaps not done by me. A general machine shop should be able to do this? I reckon I'll have to bring the engine in? I doubt that it can be done in place but I suppose a real machine shop may have all the tools to make it so.

Maybe I can drill it out myself but worried about drilling it off center or crooked

I hate myself right now, season ends early this year.

any idea where I would find the thread spec on that bolt?

Last edited by Davidrun33; 10-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I broke 2 of them off in my 1000F. I managed to back them out, though. I knotched the remaining stud with a dremel and used a flat screwdriver.

I had a piece of gorilla tape over my valve cover on one of them for a few thousand miles before I 'fixed' it, though. lol...

Wish I could be more help. That looks like it's way down in there?

you think I could put the 5 bolts on and gorilla tape it to ride it to a shop?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A general machine shop should be able to do this?
Yes... any machine shop that can't do this? Walk away, and don't look back!

I reckon I'll have to bring the engine in? I doubt that it can be done in place but I suppose a real machine shop may have all the tools to make it so.
No, this could not be done with the engine in the bike, you will either need to take them the motor/gearbox, or at least the head - I suppose it could be managed by a very low profile right-angle drill, but the job would be much simpler with the engine out... the scenario with the most accuracy would be having the head off, and using a drill press.

Now it doesn't have to be a machine shop, per se, I'm sure there are mechanics/shops who could do this, I mean, if you brought it to me, I could do it... it's just a matter of finding the right price and someone you can trust to do the work right.

I hate myself right now, season ends early this year.
Hey, at least this is happening now, and not the beginning/middle of the peak riding season! I mean, it sucks no matter what, but it could be worse!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you think I could put the 5 bolts on and gorilla tape it to ride it to a shop?
I don't see why not.
Honestly, though, I'd probably try to drill into the stud again and attempt another extraction. But that's just me.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM

I could buy more reverse bits and go for another drill. I was unable to center the drill the first time so the hole stud was drilled off center, actually 1/4 of it is gone and I'm scraping threads on that side. I suppose a larger drill could eat away at the stud if I go slow and angle it at the remaining stud. maybe get it thin enough to pick out, then re-thread/clean up. Hell, I could even fill the hole with JB and re-thread

I'm tempted, I would love the victory of success.
I'm somewhat of a spaz, however

Old 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM

I called the local dealer shop, although they are expensive they will do a helicoil. i save money if i just take the head. Problem is some of the exhaust bolts are rusty and may snap. Do i attempt to remove the head myself, or ride the bike in and have them deal with it? they may break stuff and charge a pile

can the hear be removed without dropping the motor, seems it can

Quick Reply: snapped off valve cover bolt in casting