F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

She lives again...finally

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She lives again...finally

So I got her to start up today. All I did was use a homemade external tank, as I thought the fuel valve might be wearing and not allowing enough fuel to pass through when activated. She starts right up, mumbling for a bit til she warms up and is running 'okay' with choke off, got my idle at about 1200. I put the tank back on and she starts right up again, so I ride around for 5 or so minutes then stop cuz I have class. Got back a while ago and started her up again with choke, warmed up a bit, so i turned choke off and do a couple circles in the parking lot again. Then she starts getting weak right as I give her some throttle (which should be around 2500-3000 maybe) so i park it and it dies. turn choke on and it starts up, sits at 2k for a bit, then slowly starts going down until she dies again and won't start back up. So I still think it could be the fuel valve, but thought you guys might have a lil more insight.

So I guess the question is, how long can a bike run on whats already in the carbs+a little bit more(because I know the tank is providing SOME fuel at least) and do you guys agree that it sounds like the fuel valve? Thanks

PS sorry for the novel

Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM

rebuild the petcick, i was having very similar problems and that was the culprit. You do have the vacuum line hooked to the petcock right?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 PM

yes the vacuum line's hooked up are there rebuild kits from sites anyone has tried before? Or should I just break it down and make sure it's all good to go?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 PM

http://www.bikebandit.com/search-pro...8806&WT.srch=1

get the rebuild kit, its a oem honda rebuild

Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Cool thanks a lot Rooster

Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM

no promlem man, one way to check and make sure would be to suck on the vacuum hose with the tank removed and see if there is a steady flow of gas coming out before you rebuild.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 PM

The mouth test would be good, but I find I have intermittent problems with my petcock during riding but it tests out on the bench fine. But yeah it sounds like 100% a fuel flow problem.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 AM

petcock rebuild will fix it im sure, sounds exactly like the problem i was having a few months ago.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 PM

So yesterday I had some time to work on the bike while the maintenance guys were sucking the water out of my apartment Water heater blew upstairs. Anyway, I pulled apart the petcock and snapped a few shots of the innards. Nothing special but f#%* it. Here's after you take out the 4 screws that connect the diaphragm to the petcock itself in the order they go
Not the sides of the rubber folding up, and the other side was disentigrating, so I put a new diaphragm on order thru bikebandit.

Took a little time to clean out the tank. This is just temporary, as I'm planning on trying out the KBS system sometime soon, so don't heckle me. First shot is fuel after draining straight out of tank

Next is after running 10 nuts thru it with some fuel a few times with some serious shaking. If you do this, all i can say is keep track of how many nuts you put in there

Pretty disgusting I know. last thing, I meant to take pictures of the inlet screen, but completely forgot before I put it back in. All I can say is keep an eye on that rubber bit that sits in the middle. Mine was all sorts of crooked. took me a bit to straighten it out.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM

You can get a good little bit of distance on what's left in the float bowls, and as that winds down, it loses power, and then it gets grunty, and then it just plain dies.

I'm surprised you've not run out of fuel on your bike and had to switch to reserve before this

Quick Reply: She lives again...finally