F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Setting Sag w/ No Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One tool was $129 another was around $40 I think. I'm pretty sure I got my sag in the ball park. I'll still try to get some guys at the track to help me dial it in a little closer. Had to run my fork preload way in. I thought it was set from years ago. I still got stock fork springs with hea_y weight oil. Race Techs will be going in this winter.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Race Tech springs, they transformed the front end for me - you'll have to calculate, and use real good judgement, when cutting your preload spacers when you get around to upgrading with those springs...I chose to have 30mm of preload already added, with the adjusters all the way out, so I have a lot of room to add at the adjusters, if necessary - if I end up needing less, I can always disassemble the forks, and shorten those spacers some, if I need to.

Next step up front: F3 uppers dropped into the F2 sliders - if you can find some cheap enough, I highly recommend doing that before you get the springs installed, so you can have full adjustablility when you're all done. If you're not going to do any track riding, you'll probably be fine with just the springs, but you've hit the track already with yours, haven't you? Wasn't it you that posted the BIIIIIIIGGGGG photos?!? From Loudon, was it? Maybe I'm thinkin' of someone else - can't remember! (getting old!)

Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Oh, yeah, you had some time at Summit Point, right?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 AM

Summit Point is the only place I go. Its the closest, Bea_er Run is a little closer but Roger Lyle Motorcycle Xcitement dont go there. Yes I posted that big *** picture. My bike is 94 so my forks are also 94, they got no spacers in them. With Race Tech springs would I still need to add spacers? I dont know. And my F2 is Track Only. Got 08 cbr 1000 for the street.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
...My bike is 94 so my forks are also 94...
Ahhhh, you've got a '94 - well, the F3 uppers would still be an improvement, but not as much as what they are over '91 to '93 uppers.

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
... they got no spacers in them. With Race Tech springs would I still need to add spacers?
Are you certain about that? Bear in mind, Honda calls it the "spring collar" - it's the simple, thin walled tubing piece that sits between the spring seat and the preload adjuster... if you don't have that, it would multiply your front end issues exponentially!!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Yes I'm sure, no spacers in 94 forks, been inside them twice and got the Clymer manual that tells how to brake them down and put back together. The picture in the manual has no spacers and neither do my forks.lol.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive done race techs in my 94 forks, you add the spacers when installing the springs. They allow you to add preload internally depending on how long you make the spacers. You will still have to fine tune with the normal preload adjusters.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Well, you guys have sure got me scratchin' my head!! The part I'm talking about is no. 3 in this fiche:

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1993>CBR600F2>FRONT FORK - F2 - 91-94

My forks are exactly like this illustration, but I have a '93, and both of you have a '94, so, that's probably the factor here - it wouldn't be the first manual or parts fiche I've looked at, that gives a year range for what's shown, but there are differences that are not noted!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM

I just went up to the garage and got the Clymer Manual. There is not a spacer like #3 in the 94 forks. The Ron Ayers thing is wrong according to my Clymer Manual. There is a spacer like that in the Clymer for the 91-93. And when I took my 94 forks apart I dont remember a spacer like #3.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 AM

I figured it must hav been just different for '94...now I know more about the F2 forks than I did before!

Quick Reply: Setting Sag w/ No Help?