F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Pipe or No Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe or No Pipe?

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I have been riding bikes for years now. But up to this point they have all been HD's and Buell's. A week or so ago I found a 93 CBR w 6k miles. It is in amazing shape. It is 100% stock. I have been a long time fan of Honda and I love that my bike is all original. But I have been thinking about putting an aftermarket pipe on the bike. I really like the stock look but love aftermarket sound/performance. Can anyone give me thoughts on me going with a new pipe. And if I do which pipes are considered the best for the F2. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Welcome to the forum! In answer to your question, a new pipe may not necessarily improve your performance, but will definitely score you more "cool points" with the sound. The problems you may run into, are that not many companies make pipes for our bikes anymore; and if you go with some of the "Bigger Names", they're pricy. I've always liked Yoshimura pipes, but didn't like the price, so I actually custom-fabbed an exhaust using an old Yoshi can I had from an older bike. The whole exhaust cost me maybe $25, so that's an option you might want to consider.

As far as new, bolt-on pipes or systems go; there are some affordable options. When I do my next round of upgrades, I'm planning on using one of these (see links below), I just haven't decided which one yet! Hope this helps; and once again, welcome!

Delkevic: Delkevic :: Home

DanMoto: CBR 600 F : Danmoto

Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Hey, thanks for the advise. I am pretty sure I am going to keep the bike stock. To me Honda made a perfect bike in the F2. I would hate to change the jetting or anything else.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM

I totally agree that the Honda engineers really did their homework when they designed the F2. That being said, it's important to remember that--like all vehicle manufacturers--Honda designed the exhaust for efficiency, not performance; and also to keep noise levels below *new vehicle* statutory limits for road use . While I admire your desire to keep your bike stock (I hate fiddling with the jetting, too), bear in mind that usually a slip-on pipe doesn't require re-jetting. The Yosh I'm running breathes through stock jetting with no issues whatsoever--all you have to do (at least in my experience) is stick with pipes that specify *no jetting required*, and you're golden! Either way, it's your ride, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what decision you make. I just wanted to give you a little food for thought. Keep the tank side up !

Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Oh, yeah...before I forget, got pics of your baby yet? Post 'em up; 'cause sharing is fun!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone used one of the dan moto's $80 is tempting and scary at the same time

Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM

aftermarket exhaust won't get you more power but usually they weigh significantly less than the stock pipe which helps (+ they sound cool).
I would recommend waiting on a cheap used one (on CL or fleabay etc.) that will fit. Or checking out the local bike wrecker (where I got mine).... you will end up spending way less ($50 for mine).

And don't forget to hold on to your stock pipe for re-sale (put the stock one back on and sell the aftermarket one separately).

Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bently600
aftermarket exhaust won't get you more power but usually they weigh significantly less than the stock pipe which helps (+ they sound cool).
I would recommend waiting on a cheap used one (on CL or fleabay etc.) that will fit. Or checking out the local bike wrecker (where I got mine).... you will end up spending way less ($50 for mine).

And don't forget to hold on to your stock pipe for re-sale (put the stock one back on and sell the aftermarket one separately).
+1 Going the "salvage" route, and for keeping stock exhaust! Wishing I did , oh well...

Originally Posted by jk72180
has anyone used one of the dan moto's $80 is tempting and scary at the same time
Not used one yet--although I do plan to try the "GP Extreme" in the very near future--but I've heard as long as you avoid the "carbon-fiber" one; you shouldn't have any problems. The way I see it, $112 for a brand-new "titanium" (yeah...not entirely sure I believe that one) or stainless-steel exhaust is pretty impressive--even if it doesn't last as long as say, an Akropovic, a Scorpion, a Micron, or a Jardine. Just my $.02...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by NCBikerBoy
bear in mind that usually a slip-on pipe doesn't require re-jettin
Where the hell did you get this idea?

Anything over stock is going to flow more, and these bikes came lean from the factory. Throw a new exhaust on and it's pretty much guaranteed you'll need to rejet. You may get away with stock jetting, and the difference may not be entirely noticable, but it's about 8% or more off usually... and let's not forget that running lean can burn up valves quicker and cause more damage. Hell a stock bike with a stock pipe will benefit from re-jetting...

You go with aftermarket exhaust, it's almost guaranteed you'll need to rejet.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bently600
aftermarket exhaust won't get you more power
Also not true... almost any aftermarket pipe will get you more power... but not inherently. Carbs and even the vast majority of motorcycle FI systems aren't dynamic systems. They don't necessarily fully respond to changes in variables like modern FI cars.

A pipe with proper rejetting will deliver additional power however. By itself, it only offers weight savings.

Quick Reply: Pipe or No Pipe?