F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil Pressure Problem/Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010 | 11:10 AM
|
Default Oil Pressure Problem/Mystery

Hi everyone. My problems began back in August, (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/slipping-clutch-questions-115728/)
Long story short, I used to much rtv on the stator cover, and ended up with some in my oil pickup. when the bike showed this problem, the oil light came on, bike lost power, made a low grumbling noise, and then shut off, all within the course of 3 or 4 seconds.

Well I dropped the pan, cleaned the pickup, and reassembled. I drove it for maybe 5 miles, when low and behold, the same problem happened again (loss of power, noise, shut down). I took it home again, dropped the pan, and no rtv in the pickup, but a few shavings in the pan.

I pulled the motor and took it to a shop. he just called me today and told me he has the whole motor apart and everything looks fine. No damage to the crank or bearings, and really no noticable problems of any kind...

He doens't know what the problem could have been, and he suggested I just get the gaskets so he can get it back together, and then we can put it in the bike and see how it runs. I asked him to make sure he flushes the oil passages and make sure they're fine.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what could have caused my issue? He seems to be a pretty competent mechanic (and the only one I could find for miles around that would service bike motors...), but I dont want him to get it all back together to find that theres still a problem. Thanks guys.

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:18 PM

Will low oil pressure cause the bike to stop running? I don't know if F2's are that sophisticated. If someone can answer that question and they say no, I would start looking elsewhere for problems, either the head gasket, carbs or plugs. Not many things as far as I know will cause an engine to grumble then stop other than misfires.

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:42 PM

They don't have low oil pressure safety switches. They'll run bone dry right up til they stop for good. Sorry I kinda dropped out of your last thread, I was on vacation in NC and the wifi at motel SUCKED!!
Were the shavings you found gold colored? If so, that's bearing material. Clutch material can get in your oil pan (and oil pickup) but it looks more like black sludge. Did the mech find where shavings were coming from? One of your bearings HAS to have some wear marks on it. If it was mine, I'd completely flush the oil galleries (remove gallery plugs at both ends of case). Then I'd take oil pump apart and check rotor clearance. Then I would plastigage the main and rod bearings. You said he said everything looked fine. I'm not calling him a liar but like I said...One or more of those bearings HAS to be hurt.