F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

oh what mods to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:14 PM
nez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh what mods to do?

Hi all, prepping my 1994 F2 for the season ahead, just wondering what mods are available, ie, new tail/seat, and general ideas. I have a exhaust, led rear lamp but otherwise standard, any pics/ideas/recommendations? Thanks in advance

Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting to see if someone else would chime in with suggestions but I guess not so......here I go..........If it runs good leave it alone, other than maintenance, oil & filter change, check air filter, spark plugs. How many miles on her? Maybe a valve spec check. Hows the chain & sprockets? Does the rear sprocket look like ocean wave about to break? If so, you need new, chain & sprockets, not one or the other but both sprockets front and rear plus chain. Maybe a coolant flush and replace. Also some good sticky street tires like Dunlop Q2's or Q3's are awesome. While the wheels are off maybe fresh fork oil and maybe seals & bushings. Lube the rear suspension pivot points, and if you can find one, an aftermarket rear shock such as Ohlins, Fox, etc. A good set of front brake pads. Dont bother with the rear as long as it works and the pads have some meat, other than fresh fluid. As far as the front, some braided ss brake lines are a awesome upgrade, especially compared to old hard factory rubber lines along with fresh fluid, at least do the fluid even if you dont get the ss lines. If you got the time go through the F2 section and read them all. Might take a couple days but you'll learn alot. Especially posts from JNS. He had a awesome F2 that he modified the heck out of. Welcome to the Best CBR forum on the interweb.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM
nez

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I was waiting to see if someone else would chime in with suggestions but I guess not so......here I go..........If it runs good leave it alone, other than maintenance, oil & filter change, check air filter, spark plugs. How many miles on her? Maybe a valve spec check. Hows the chain & sprockets? Does the rear sprocket look like ocean wave about to break? If so, you need new, chain & sprockets, not one or the other but both sprockets front and rear plus chain. Maybe a coolant flush and replace. Also some good sticky street tires like Dunlop Q2's or Q3's are awesome. While the wheels are off maybe fresh fork oil and maybe seals & bushings. Lube the rear suspension pivot points, and if you can find one, an aftermarket rear shock such as Ohlins, Fox, etc. A good set of front brake pads. Dont bother with the rear as long as it works and the pads have some meat, other than fresh fluid. As far as the front, some braided ss brake lines are a awesome upgrade, especially compared to old hard factory rubber lines along with fresh fluid, at least do the fluid even if you dont get the ss lines. If you got the time go through the F2 section and read them all. Might take a couple days but you'll learn alot. Especially posts from JNS. He had a awesome F2 that he modified the heck out of. Welcome to the Best CBR forum on the interweb.
Thank you for your warm welcome

My bike has 28k and runs well apart from a slight rattle that goes when pulling in the clutch, service is all up to date, sprockets look good but a chain link remover was included in Las service so guessing the chain has been shortened so looking to replace with renthal sprockets and gold chain.
Any suggestions on where to get hoses and parts from or just google/ebay

Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Since you're getting chain & sprockets may as well get the smaller/lighter 520 conversion. And if you dont do alot of interstate/freeway riding may as well get -1 front and +2 rear sprockets. Or at least -1 front. Hoses? I assume radiator hoses, online OEM supplier for new or used on ebay. As far as horsepower mods, jet kit and full aftermarket exhaust is about it, maybe ignition advancer. A stock F2 has about 83 hp, my jetted and piped F2 has 86 (dynoed twice with 2 different pipes). It takes a whole lot of money to get a little more horsepower, going more then just a jet kit and pipe. The 520 chain & sprocket kit will help it feel a little more peppy. I've owned Hondas for 41 years, they've all had that clutch rattle that goes away when you pull in the lever, even when you pull it in just a couple millimeters, Even my, bought brand new 08 CBR 1000rr, back in 08. And just FYI, I heard from a very good source that the best chain and sprockets and DID chain & AFAM sprockets.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:11 AM
nez

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Since you're getting chain & sprockets may as well get the smaller/lighter 520 conversion. And if you dont do alot of interstate/freeway riding may as well get -1 front and +2 rear sprockets. Or at least -1 front. Hoses? I assume radiator hoses, online OEM supplier for new or used on ebay. As far as horsepower mods, jet kit and full aftermarket exhaust is about it, maybe ignition advancer. A stock F2 has about 83 hp, my jetted and piped F2 has 86 (dynoed twice with 2 different pipes). It takes a whole lot of money to get a little more horsepower, going more then just a jet kit and pipe. The 520 chain & sprocket kit will help it feel a little more peppy. I've owned Hondas for 41 years, they've all had that clutch rattle that goes away when you pull in the lever, even when you pull it in just a couple millimeters, Even my, bought brand new 08 CBR 1000rr, back in 08. And just FYI, I heard from a very good source that the best chain and sprockets and DID chain & AFAM sprockets.
I have been told not to go the 520 chain route, what are the pros and cons please?

Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Who said not to?

Pros - lighter (rotating mass), cheaper, looks better

Cons - will wear out quicker than a 530 (all other variables remaining equal)

But who cares? Chains are wear and tear. They all wear out. Plus, some of the nicer 520s are every bit as strong as some other 530s. You have an older 600, I wouldn't think twice about it.

And I would at a minimum do -1 on the front sprocket

Last edited by Conrice; 06-14-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 AM

Who ever told you not to do 520 dont know what they're talking about. Its not like your bike is a Hayabusa or ZX 14, where a smaller lighter chain might be questionable. And even 1000cc GSXR/ZX10/R1/CBR riders do the 520 conversion all the time for track days or racing. The biggest issue with the 520 conversion I believe would be if the rear sprocket was aluminum, which would wear quicker than steel. But on a bike with 83 hp youd be crazy not to go 520. Stock sprocket teeth count is 15F, 43R. Go with 14/45 or at least 14/43. And on your old bike a gearing change will not change the speedometer reading, like it does on more modern bikes.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:41 PM
nez

Thanks for all the input, I now have a did 520 gold chain, afam -1/+1 sprockets and a weekend to fit them, service bike and then well, test it out of course 😊

Old 06-17-2016, 11:15 PM

Make sure you have the proper slack in the chain when adjusted. Too loose is better than too tight. Too tight will eat your front sprocket shaft. Dont ask me how I know.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ +1
And make sure its not to tight when the bike is loaded (you are sitting on it).

Funny thing, my '79 CB750F came with a 630 chain. In 1980 Honda installed a 530 on the bike. I would always replace with the 530. Much less $$$
I always wondered why Honda thought they needed a 630 chain on a bike with 75HP.

Welcome to the forum nez.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-18-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added the welcome, I clicked to fast.

Quick Reply: oh what mods to do?