F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

No Start condition

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said "true statement" because it's true, you never really know the details from the voice of the previous owner.

Everytime I have pulled a plug and wire I have had spark (even when the engine wouldn't fire).

Doesn't the r/r have to do with the charging system of the bike? If I kept getting a dead battery after riding then it could be suspect from what I thought I read on here.

I have been able to start, and ride it a few times. The morning I took it to work was the easiest it's ever started, but at lunch and going home it took several tries to get it started (with the throttle full open).

Once its running it runs well (once you're IN the throttle). It feels hesitant (almost bucking) with very little throttle input, but takes off like a rocket with more throttle input.

As mentioned, I did run some seafoam in the tank but haven't seen any change with anything.

There is only one thing worse than having a bike in good weather and not riding... it's the wife saying "Didn't you pick this up for us to ride while you were building your other non-running bike? hmmm and now you're working on this one...i see..."

I bought it to RIDE, not work on! haha

Thanks guys.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matt'sdrag95
I said "true statement" because it's true, you never really know the details from the voice of the previous owner
Ahhhhh, now I see!!

... Doesn't the r/r have to do with the charging system of the bike? If I kept getting a dead battery after riding then it could be suspect from what I thought I read on here....
You should definitely check both the R/R and stator, if your having charging issues, or battery repeatedly going dead - you could also have the battery load-tested, to make sure it's still a good battery, and will hold a charge.

...I have been able to start, and ride it a few times. The morning I took it to work was the easiest it's ever started, but at lunch and going home it took several tries to get it started (with the throttle full open).

Once its running it runs well (once you're IN the throttle). It feels hesitant (almost bucking) with very little throttle input, but takes off like a rocket with more throttle input....
This could be a result of filthy carbs, for sure, but I think you did mention the idle/pilot circuit before, and yes, if it's hesitating with small throttle inputs, and while just "cruising", then your pilot circuits could be clogged a bit and/or if the PO did any tinkering with the fuel screws for that circuit, he may not have them all turned out the same amount, or they may just be turned in too far, leaning out the pilot circuit. Do you have stock exhaust, and OEM air filter?

...As mentioned, I did run some seafoam in the tank but haven't seen any change with anything....
Seafoam isn't a cure-all, but it's magnificent stuff! Running one tank full can get the ball rolling, but depending on how much of a mess there is, it's usually a good idea to run 3 to 4 tanks with it in.

Good luck on this...and on keeping the angry wife at bay!!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
You should definitely check both the R/R and stator, if your having charging issues, or battery repeatedly going dead - you could also have the battery load-tested, to make sure it's still a good battery, and will hold a charge.
I'm not experiencing any charging issues, so I'll hold off on that one for now.

This could be a result of filthy carbs, for sure, but I think you did mention the idle/pilot circuit before, and yes, if it's hesitating with small throttle inputs, and while just "cruising", then your pilot circuits could be clogged a bit and/or if the PO did any tinkering with the fuel screws for that circuit, he may not have them all turned out the same amount, or they may just be turned in too far, leaning out the pilot circuit. Do you have stock exhaust, and OEM air filter?
The bike has a V&H pipe and an UNI filter. Yeah...I'm going to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning.

Good luck on this...and on keeping the angry wife at bay!!
I'll do my best!