F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

New front end - How?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New front end - How?

How can I tell if a front end from another bike or another year cbr will fit my f2?

I want to go with something that's fully adjustable and has great performance, maybe a new gsxr front end, I dunno. I hear the reduced unsprung weight of the inverted forks is good, but mainly I just want them cause they look cool, tbh.

Anyway, it's just one contact point where it hooks up to the frame, right? How can I tell if it'll work?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

simplest front end swap with cartridge forks will be the 94f2, only need the forks!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather find something a little more updated in terms of actual performance... higher flow rates, better adjustability, lower unsprung weight, etc.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014

Originally Posted by Edward Tristram
I'd rather find something a little more updated in terms of actual performance... higher flow rates, better adjustability, lower unsprung weight, etc.
...and, much more rigid, whereas the forks on these bikes are designed to have a little bit of flex - if you go with stiff USD forks, you'll translate that flex to your frame, which isn't good. Just factor this in...you may not ride hard enough for there to be an issue, but if your looking for more advanced forks, then perhaps you do ride hard - in that case, this will affect things negatively.
I had planned on going with 954RR front end - very simply swap; practically bolts right up - but since I ride the track, and will be racing soon, I did some research, which returned MUCH feed back from people who have raced, still race, and just generally wring out these F2s on track, saying DO NOT DO IT!!
It all really depends on what kind of riding you're going to be doing.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM

^^^So cis swapping to the 94 cartridge forks a good or bad idea mate? I'm looking for something to hold up for stunting

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
^^^So cis swapping to the 94 cartridge forks a good or bad idea mate? I'm looking for something to hold up for stunting
Honestly, I can't comment on durability for stunting, my goal is to keep the front wheel on the ground! It's faster that way!
I'm just sayin' in a "go fast" environment, folks have advised against rigid USD forks - but yeah, the '94 forks are better, but stuntin's hard on everything, ain't it?? Just destroy 'em, and buy more!! If I had to speculate, I'd say there aren't any forks that are gonna hold up to that kind of abuse for long, as heavy as these beasts are!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Honestly, I can't comment on durability for stunting, my goal is to keep the front wheel on the ground! It's faster that way!
I'm just sayin' in a "go fast" environment, folks have advised against rigid USD forks - but yeah, the '94 forks are better, but stuntin's hard on everything, ain't it?? Just destroy 'em, and buy more!! If I had to speculate, I'd say there aren't any forks that are gonna hold up to that kind of abuse for long, as heavy as these beasts are!
hahah not at all! i'm pretty sure my forks are shot so im just looking in the near future. So if everyones hatin on USD forks, where you getting your forks shipped from

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
hahah not at all! i'm pretty sure my forks are shot so im just looking in the near future. So if everyones hatin on USD forks, where you getting your forks shipped from
I'm just runnin' my stock forks with RaceTech springs...the only plans I have for the near future, are gettin' a set of F3 forks, so I can drop in the uppers, and have cartridge forks with the addition of some rebound dampening adjustment - I haven't started lookin' for any yet, but one of the other guys did say he found a set of F3 forks on eBay for $100.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked again at those forks I saw and they are gone. There is other f3 forks on there still. But not as cheap/good looking as those ones I posted about.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I looked again at those forks I saw and they are gone. There is other f3 forks on there still. But not as cheap/good looking as those ones I posted about.
That's no surprise...$100 is a sweet price, especially if they were straight.

Quick Reply: New front end - How?