F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first bike!

Hey, just bought a 93 cbr 600. This is my very first bike! I'm wanting to do all the maintenance on it right now before it gets really nice outside. I have to get a new battery, am gonna get new spark plugs, change the coolant, oil and oil filter. I already took the air filter out and cleaned it and re-oiled it. What other things could I do to make it perform better?

Was planning on using Royal Purple Oil.
What is the wrench size for these spark plugs? I took one of the boots off and couldn't see the plug and reached in and couldn't feel the plug either...

I kinda did a stupid thing. Since it's a new toy I wanted to drive it and hear it run and everything, knowing that the gas was from last season and I think I ran it too long with the old gas, cuz the bike started idling funny and then actually died. So I took the tank off and drained the gas out of it. Was planning on changing fuel filters, but I read somewhere that these don't have any? Any other things I could do to fix this problem?

Thank you for any advice!!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ryans93honda
Hey, just bought a 93 cbr 600. This is my very first bike! I'm wanting to do all the maintenance on it right now before it gets really nice outside. I have to get a new battery, am gonna get new spark plugs, change the coolant, oil and oil filter. I already took the air filter out and cleaned it and re-oiled it. What other things could I do to make it perform better?

Was planning on using Royal Purple Oil.
What is the wrench size for these spark plugs? I took one of the boots off and couldn't see the plug and reached in and couldn't feel the plug either...

I kinda did a stupid thing. Since it's a new toy I wanted to drive it and hear it run and everything, knowing that the gas was from last season and I think I ran it too long with the old gas, cuz the bike started idling funny and then actually died. So I took the tank off and drained the gas out of it. Was planning on changing fuel filters, but I read somewhere that these don't have any? Any other things I could do to fix this problem?

Thank you for any advice!!
Skip Royal Purple. You can get Mobil 1 at Walmart in gallonish sized jugs for pretty cheap. Not sure what size the spark plug is, but you'll need an extended socket to get them I believe. Running it on old gas probably won't hurt it any more than it was harmed sitting with the old fuel. Fill it up with new fuel and hope the carbs aren't gummed up. If they are, you'll need to take them apart and clean them. If it isn't too bad, some carb cleaner might help. The fuel pickup has a screen that is possibly clogged up with crap, you could check that out. As far as other things, make sure all your lights work, make sure your tires are good (no cracking etc), tire pressure, chain tension, lube chain, clutch and throttle cable tension, make sure forks aren't leaking, flush brakes, and that should get you a decent bike!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mix some seafoam in with the gas to help condition everything.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM

You can't just run any old oil in a motorcycle with a wet clutch, so dumping walmart mobil 1 in is a bad idea. Regular car oil will not deliver ideal results.

I've been a big fan of the Honda GP4 stuff lately. Comes in a gallon jug, is really well treated, works great... and is priced well in comparison to all the other stuff out there as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Any oil that doesn't have have "Energy Conserving" in the lower half of the API seal should be okay with the wet clutch. The EC stuff is extra slippery and keeps the clutch plates from gripping each other, causing them to slip. If you stay away from EC oil, and use a proper weight, you should be okay. That said, there are motorcycle oils out there that claim to be designed with motorcycles in mind. If using that gives you peace of mind, go for it.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM

The sprak plug is a 5/8th i believe and you do need an extension. I just changed mine not to long ago. Just remember not to tighten them too much or you will snap off the threads and have to make a not so fancy tool like i did to get it back out. And yes that really did happen (talk about a dumb mistake that almost cost me)
Tip: dont work on bike when mind is on something else

Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Oh and by the way congrats I love my F2

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Hey, thanks for all the help guys! I just went to the honda dealer so I'd get the right stuff for the first time changing everything. SPENDY BILL HOLY! haha. It's alright though I love working on this bike so far. Since I took off mostly all the panels, I cleaned the frame up a bit and now I'm waxing the panels so it's nice and clean!

Where is that fuel screen? Is it actually in the tank? I took the tank off and removed the petcock if you will. Its the unit where the "RESERVE, ON, and OFF" switch is on. Is the screen maybe in that vavle? How do I get to it?

I'm going to flush my radiator also, so I bought a thermostat, but they had to order it along with a o-ring and a sealer washer for the bolt. It seemed strange that they didn't have a thermostat. I looked at the receipt when I got home and it was $38 for a thermostat. Does that sound right!? I'm use to changing t-stats on my pickup where I pay $1.99! haha. Is it possible that they ordered me the whole housing?? Or is that just how they make t-stats for these bikes?

Lastly, what is the gap for the spark plugs? And just to make sure, is it actually accessible from the sides? Or do most people take off the take and air cleaner and everything to get at the plugs from the top.
AND NO I won't over tighten them! haha That would suck to break one of those!!

Thanks guys.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM

Filter screen is inside the tank, where the petcock attaches.

Spark plug gap is 0.035". Whenever I remove my plugs, the carbs are always out but other people have claimed to be able to remove them from the side. If you don't have the manuals yet, you can download them from many sites if you searched.

Congrats and enjoy owning an F2!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM

I replaced my plugs from the side and I have big hands. I neve found it easier to do with the air filter and stuff off. If you were to remove the radiator that would make it easier, but it can be done. If you do it from the side you can drop the 5/8 spark plug and extender down there attach the rachet. Once you get it loose I would take the rachet off and finish unscrewing it by hand. When your pulling it out it gets a little tight put it is fairly easy to get out. I would wear gloves so you dont scrape your kuckles like i did though. just my $.02