F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Is my bike too lean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my bike too lean?

It is sort of hard to describe- it definitely only feels this way once my bike is fully warmed up. My throttle/ clutch response seems slower, which in turn doesn't let me shift as smoothly.

When I first start riding and my temperature is still cooler, everything on the bike feels top notch. Even rolling slowly, its much more smooth. Once ive been riding for a good 15 minutes, my fuel intake seems more choppy when cruising, and I have a harder time shifting smoothly. And even more so on the really hot days. I think I feel a little loss of power around 4-5k rpms when i'm fully warm also. When I rev hard and let it come down on its own, I only hear a pop every once and a while.

Should I loosen my D shaped screws a quarter turn or so?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

might as well try it out man.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 AM

Well one way to tell if your bike is too lean is to check it's BMI (Body Mass Index). If your bike is too lean try providing it with more steak, cheeseburgers, and mexican food. If that doesn't help consider protein shakes.

In all seriousness... adjusting the pilots will only affect your idle mixture. I've read what you've got to say about issues, and it's interesting that it gets WORSE with the engine warming up. It does sound like your issue is only occuring at idle, but it affects shifting?

Have you changed your oil recently?

If so, what are you runing for an air filter, what jets (stock?) and what exhaust (stock or slip on or full).

Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Pull the plugs and have a look:
Black = too rich
Gray/Tan = OK
White = lean

When a bike runs well cold, and not as good when warm usually means the bike is running rich.

My guess is the carb needles are worn, allowing extra fuel in the engine.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_F2
Pull the plugs and have a look:
Black = too rich
Gray/Tan = OK
White = lean

When a bike runs well cold, and not as good when warm usually means the bike is running rich.

My guess is the carb needles are worn, allowing extra fuel in the engine.
+1 Prolly running rich. I'd suggest checking the easy stuff first tho. Like the air filter and hose connections. Could be air isn't flowing as freely.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Ahhh, now that's all good information!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 AM

If your bike was in fact running lean, then you could just flip the choke to see if that makes it run better when warmed up. That is, to test your hypothesis of it being lean.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM

When I flip the choke, it just makes it want to idle higher, and not come down as quickly when I rev. I wouldn't innitially think its running rich- but I guess thats why I am here asking the questions. I always thought that if you have engine problems once it is fully warm, it is a lean issue. I took some pictures of the plugs, I think they look alright but i'm a little bit colorblind. How do they look to you? Also, why would air flow in my bike change how it runs once it is warmed up?

One picture is with flash, other is without. Plug in cyl #1 is on the far left in both pictures. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Is my bike too lean?-057.jpg   Is my bike too lean?-058.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Rich is my call.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need better pics of the electrodes on the plugs. Can't really see what the condition is. The electrode tips are what matters most

Quick Reply: Is my bike too lean?