F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Most important mods for a track day on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all been a week or so since I could do anything to the bike but yesterday I took on the task of getting the brakes sorted.
Took off the two front calipers and the rear calliper and went about pumping out the pistons for a full rebuild.
Front right and rear caliper posed no problem whatsoever. Front left on the other hand is well and truly seized up. The dust seal has jammed in on both pistons. Modified a bit of tubing with a one way valve and a suitable threaded bolt into the banjo bolt hole on the caliper. 190 PSI and it still would not budge those pistons
Going to try again today but may need a new caliper. Looking at fitting/modifying modern cb600 calipers if they do need replacing

Bit of a boring update just wanted you to know (slow) progress is being made
Ride safe all and I will update later

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Ah so im not the only one with caliper issues mine need a full rebuild as well but cant get all the piston out as well but I dont have a compresser so cant try that method

Last edited by Douglas_1987; 06-12-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas_1987
Ah so im not the only one with caliper issues mine need a full rebuild as well but cant get all the piston out as well but I dont have a compresser so cant try that method
After much more swearing in the garage today I have come to the conclusion that it needs to be replaced. I connected it back to the brake system and bled the brakes etc to use neumatics to push it out. Well under the pressure it popped the banjo bolt off rather than pushing the pistons out. That is a remarkable amount of pressure!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by higgy2011
After much more swearing in the garage today I have come to the conclusion that it needs to be replaced. I connected it back to the brake system and bled the brakes etc to use neumatics to push it out. Well under the pressure it popped the banjo bolt off rather than pushing the pistons out. That is a remarkable amount of pressure!

Done that method as well and ive got the back one out fine but the front are being hell to get out 2 out of 4 will pop out so know idea what to do on a side note had to use heat on one caliper to unsizze the pad slider

Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas_1987
Done that method as well and ive got the back one out fine but the front are being hell to get out 2 out of 4 will pop out so know idea what to do on a side note had to use heat on one caliper to unsizze the pad slider
If you can get two out you are half way there
Put a piece of wood over the one piston to jam that in and then use the brake to pump the other out.
I have already tried heat but no luck.

Back to the thread in question tomorrow I plan to crack on and get the air box off, carbs off and swap the rear shock

Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Struggling with seized bolts so progress is taking a lot longer than expected. Caliper is now no longer seized I managed to work the pistons out eventually, pushing them out a bit cleaning and then pushing back in. The dust seal was destroyed and swollen.

I have bought some F3 forks from a 1996 model cbr. I have searched but cannot find a 'how to guide' or any further details on adding the f3 bits to the f2 so can anyone elaborate?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 AM

I have bought some F3 forks from a 1996 model cbr. I have searched but cannot find a 'how to guide' or any further details on adding the f3 bits to the f2 so can anyone elaborate? What fluid level should I add?

Anyone able to advise?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only slapped a complete F3 front end on a F2, that's very straightforward. My guess is that the only thing that gets kept from the F2 forks will be the fork lower castings, If this will work, the cartridge body should screw into a speical bolt that holds it to the base of the fork lower from outside. I don't know if the threading or offset are the same, but the Forks are very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference was caliper and fender mounting points. This will be a new experience, and I bet many other F2 owners are looking forward to hearing what happens here.

Even if you have to do some kind of adaptation it should work, the fork tubes are of the same diameter (same SKU IIRC) and the dampers are both 20mm for the F2 damping rod and the F3 cartridge. All the important dimensions should meet up, so I'm not sure why they shouldn't work even if it requires taking a trip down to your local machinist.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Struggling with seized bolts so progress is taking a lot longer than expected. Caliper is now no longer seized I managed to work the pistons out eventually, pushing them out a bit cleaning and then pushing back in. The dust seal was destroyed and swollen.

I have bought some F3 forks from a 1996 model cbr. I have searched but cannot find a 'how to guide' or any further details on adding the f3 bits to the f2 so can anyone elaborate?

To retain the F2 speedo drive you simple take both forks apart. You then rebuild, placing the F3 uppers into the F2 lowers. That's all that is involved.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies both!
Right so bike is back together almost after a full strip. Just waiting on delivery for spark plugs, new air filter and a fibreglass single seat unit. Then rebuild the forks and I will be out and about on it
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow as I go through the remainder of the work as I havent really been keeping you guys up to date . I honestly think no work has been done on this bike for years the spark plugs are the oldest looking I have ever seen and the carbs are well out of sync - so much so they are causing a knocking sound.

Quick Reply: Most important mods for a track day on a budget