F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Most important mods for a track day on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Most important mods for a track day on a budget

Hey all,

So in case you missed my intro thread at the weekend hello from the UK

I recently picked up a cbr600f2 1992 plate here is an image of her:

I paid just £225 for this baby and it is running well. I plan to give the bike a good overall inspection and then a full service. After that the bike will be used on the track for a bit of fun, nothing serious, and a bit of road riding. (I know this is an old machine and so I can't expect the power, suspension and braking of a new bike.) I plan on spending around £300-400 on the bike to get it a bit more suited for the track. What mods would you be planning?

This is what I have discovered thanks to you guys

Tyres: Front 120/70-17 Rear 160/60
Michelin sporty 2ct
Pirelli Diablo supercorsa

Front suspension:
F3 uppers - respring/revalve later if required
Or respring F2,
Ohlin £113
Racetech £
Eibach £

Rear suspension:
F4i rear shock BOUGHT £11
Respring later if required!

Kickstand:
F4i kickstand

Brakes:
Sintered double H Brake pads

Gearing:
Thinking -1 front, +2 rear? Budgeting about including a chain £135

Crash protection:

Non-essential extras:
R6 throttle mod
Rearset risers
Full exhaust system

Items in blue I am still looking for some advice on if possible I will update this thread as I purchase each piece.
Any and all advice/criticism is welcomed Let me know if I've overlooked something
Ride safe all

Last edited by higgy2011; 05-31-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Ive never herd of anyone putting a 929 shock on a f2/3 But if you go with either a f4 or f4i shock it will raise your tail up and you will problay want to get a f4i kick stand or extend your current one somehow.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hi Higgy,

I don't claim to know many of the answers to your questions as I don't do track riding. I should. One day I will but for now..... ah well.
Just thought I'd say Hi. Another fellow UK CBR rider.

Tyres- I've had two sets of Metzlers. The second set were way better rubber than the first set. Not tried the M3's but have heard good things.

Front suspension- yes you can re-spring yourself. A bit more research should throw up some suitable leads on that.

Brakes- Hmmm dunno. I'd try what you've got first if you're not planning on going mad and see what happens. I'm sure you'll have plenty of advice from the guys there anyway.

Good luck. Be interested to hear how you get on.

Where are you anyway. Don't forget to add your location to your info.
Perhaps catch you for a ride some time.

H

Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM

The stock kickstand works with the F4i rear shock, it's just precariously close to tipping over if you aren't on a perfectly flat surface.

Re-springing up front is nice, but not as nice as going to cartridge forks. 94 F2 forks are close enough for track purposes. Re-springing can easily be done on your own, as can dumping and refilling the oil.

Brakes.... don't bother. They'll be fine as is. Braided lines are probably wasted money as well for just a barely noticable increase in "feel". Sintered double H Brake pads are a better investment. They tear up your rotors, but stop like no ones business. if you're tracking this bike it isn't long for the world anyways if you're pushing it, so get gnarly.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Ok cool thanks very much all.
I will update the original post to include your replied so thanks and I have set up email notifications for the parts if they end up on fleabay.

@ HenryM - I have now added my location. I am from Cardiff but if I am ever over that way I will make sure to let you know

Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM

If you want to get really serious about making the bike track specific, there is a ton you can do to it by the way on the cheap that will yield strong results. It's just time and energy!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by higgy2011
I am from Cardiff but if I am ever over that way I will make sure to let you know
Oo next city across from me as im from newport south wales I have a f2 as well but she in a more sorry state than yours and needs a few jobs doing to her before she can go on the road again but I have another bike so can allways go for a ride if need be

Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM

I have now purchased a F4i shock. Cost £11 including P&P.
Currently bidding on a set of spare wheels I can put my track tyres on to switch between road and track use.

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
If you want to get really serious about making the bike track specific, there is a ton you can do to it by the way on the cheap that will yield strong results. It's just time and energy!
I have the time and energy but just not a huge amount of cash to put into her. I will be taking a year out from study as of June so need something to keep me busy. The only thing is I would rather keep it road legal so I could use the bike in poor weather as opposed to using my other bike (a triumph street triple) as I don't have a car.

What I think I will do is do the 'mods' discussed above and book a track day. I will see how she handles and then start adding more to her to improve it.

@ Douglas
Hey dude. I am always up for ride outs. Are you a welshbiker forum member by any chance? (sorry dont know if I am even allowed to mention another forum on here )

Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Yer im not been on that fourm for awhile now but will find my details later on

Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Why use some old Metzellers??? Especially on track?!
Take a hold of Michelin Power One, or something from Pirellis- Dragon Supercorsa, Diablo Supercorsa. Those are the right tires for track and road!
Oh, and get a crash bobbins
They will help you not spending more money in case of crash

Quick Reply: Most important mods for a track day on a budget